Need to get windows up, mid engine swap.

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
Hey guys, I'm still in the middle of an engine swap and I need to roll up my windows to move my car out of the garage for a while and put another in there.

I looked up some other threads and found out which wires to power for the switch to work, also looked in the TEWD. Tried the wires, nothing, so I powered the motor straight from the plug with a fully charged battery.

I also had two spare motors on tracks, tried em out, nothing as well. Only one I haven't tried yet is the passenger side.

Windows worked great before I pulled the engine and I pulled the motors from a working car as well, in working order. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but is there another way to get the windows up?

I'm asking because I might be missing something since the window is locked in place by the motor.

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
I don't have the harness for the battery, I put in the other engine, bolted it in, bolted up the exhaust. Haven't gotten to much else yet. That's why I was trying to power it directly with 12v.

Thanks for the suggestion but that won't work for me right now.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Just pull the door panels and apply power to the motors. If it doesnt go one way switch the power and ground around and it will go the other way.

Iirc all you need is the little blue wire that goes to the fuse box to power all that. That and a gorund for the battery.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
Give power to the wire that goes from the under hood fuse block to the positive battery terminal (its white with a blue fuseable link, in my car). And hook up ground any way possible.
Then most electrical functions should work as normal. Turn on the key, and put windows up.

spencyg

Oct 7, 2010
Maine, USA
I just pulled the plug on my window motors when the door panels were off, and put 12V to one prong, and grounded the other. Got it backwards and the window went up, swapped the leads, and the window went down. You can do this with the door sitting on the ground 50' away from the car if you want...nice and simple.

SGinNE

Scott 88-1JZ

Dec 9, 2007
California
spencyg;1705976 said:
I just pulled the plug on my window motors when the door panels were off, and put 12V to one prong, and grounded the other. Got it backwards and the window went up, swapped the leads, and the window went down. You can do this with the door sitting on the ground 50' away from the car if you want...nice and simple.

SGinNE

^ This. When I pulled my window motor out of the car I had to move the window around to get to all the bolts. With the door panel removed just unplug the window motor and apply power to it. All I did was take the 9.6V battery from my cordless drill and connected a couple of wires with female spade connectors crimped on to the motor and touched the other end of the wire to the terminals on my battery. One way is up the other way is down.

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions. I thought I was missing something, maybe that the motor was grounded through the track or something as well.

But I did try applying power directly to the motor plug itself. I have the door panel off and I apply power and tried reversing polarity from a 12v battery already. Before that I was trying to power the harness that goes to the switch and using the switch up and down.

The window motor in the car isn't moving, either way, and the two spares I have also aren't moving which is why I thought I was missing something. All three of them are known working, the one in the car worked perfect until the day I parked it. I do have to get these up in the next 2-3 days because I have to put another car in the garage. Can't have this one outside with the windows down.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
Guyana00;1706177 said:
But I did try applying power directly to the motor plug itself.

You need to apply power AND ground to the pins for the motor to work.

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
Yes, thanks but I've done that, I realize that needs to be done. Reversed polarity as well. I might just have to look for another working motor and track and swap em out.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
You need to have a good battery. One that has been sitting wont work. The window motors put a lot of load on the battery. Thats why it takes them forever to go up with the engine off.

boostcraver

Mar 13, 2010
Louisville, KY
Guyana00;1706196 said:
Yes, thanks but I've done that, I realize that needs to be done. Reversed polarity as well. I might just have to look for another working motor and track and swap em out.

I guess I must be missing something as well...does nothing more than the passing of time make your known good window motors go bad? I would ask this question: Are you using extremely small leads from the battery you are using or leads with multiple splices or bad spots? If so, there may be too much resistance in the wires to send enough power to the motor to actually move it. As stated before, they do draw alot of juice. If it were me, I would get out my multimeter and set it to read voltage, then begin testing the entire circuit I had made/improvised to find the dead spot. If you ARE in fact getting 12v to the motor, and it IS properly and securely grounded, it should work.

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
I'll try changing the wires, one of the leads I was using was a tester clipped to the battery and poked into the clip. The battery is good, 12V, and I also hooked onto a live battery, running vehicle.

I guess I'll try some bigger wires, and ditch the tester, none of them were broken, tester lit up, and approximately the same size as the stock motor wires, but it couldn't hurt.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
12.3 is technically a dead battery. It might start your car barely but it either needs a charge or replaced.

Make sure that your getting good contact on the pins. They sometimes are hard to get up. Alligator clips might help.

boostcraver

Mar 13, 2010
Louisville, KY
OP, any updates on the windows? If not, was gonna suggest just tarping the car then put a car cover over it so its not an eyesore for the neighborhood.