need tips on removing the window motor

Chard

Oct 11, 2005
Fairfax, VA
Got the 3 screws (attached to inside door panel) out but the window guide starting to turn could not get to it. Anyone had any tips on this thing? I had the replacement but the brackets did not come with them that are attached on one end to the motor and the other to the door panel.

Chard

Oct 11, 2005
Fairfax, VA
IJ, I revised my post ^^^ so hopefully, you could understand my q? better. Thanks.

---------- Post added at 07:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 PM ----------

Hvyman, so do I need to remove my window and regulator out first before I could replace the motor?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Chard;1562332 said:
IJ, I revised my post ^^^ so hopefully, you could understand my q? better. Thanks.

---------- Post added at 07:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 PM ----------

So do I need to remove my window and regulator out first before I could replace the motor?
Can you see the bit in question on this pic?

BO_005.gif

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
When I did mine there are 3 bolts on the regulator, 2 on the guide and 2 nuts on the base of the glass, I undid all these then wedged a screwdriver in to hold the glass up, would the regulator down so the X is flat and wiggle the whole assembly out through the hole.

As with most things Toyota there's only 1 way it will come out of there.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Scored a new reg/motor from a buds parts car and went through the doors making sure it was all adjusted right, the windows actually touch the seals now and are rattle free.

Mine were so bad is you went over 140 the windows bowed out and it sounded like a wind tunnel :(

Not to mention near drowning in the car wash!

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
S.A. supra;1562528 said:
I want to say, I pulled it out all together bracket and motor. It's been so long since I took it out.
Only way to do it as the Pinion gear is preloaded by the big clock spring and it takes some effort to change even on the ground, I used a phillips head screwdriver to lock one of the arms while I unbolted the motor.

Chard

Oct 11, 2005
Fairfax, VA
IJ.;1562349 said:
When I did mine there are 3 bolts on the regulator, 2 on the guide and 2 nuts on the base of the glass, I undid all these then wedged a screwdriver in to hold the glass up, would the regulator down so the X is flat and wiggle the whole assembly out through the hole.

As with most things Toyota there's only 1 way it will come out of there.

I did all what you said here IJ but I could not line-up the 3 bolts on the motor. In putting it back together, I started with the 2 nuts on the base of the glass then I put back the two bolts on the guide but then, I could only get on 1 of the 3 motor bolts (the upper left). The motor kept on turning counterclockwise as I do this instead of upright (to line-up the 3 holes). I also tried to wedging a screw driver to keep the glass from going down but I just could not get the 3 motor bolt holes to line-up.

Am I missing something here?

Last edited:

Chard

Oct 11, 2005
Fairfax, VA
IJ.;1562914 said:
Yes you are missing something, assembly should be the reverse of removal so the nuts on the glass go on last so you can wiggle the glass into place.

I actually did that way one time when I had the window out. Motor bolts first then the guide bolts which made the regulator do an "X" shape. Then, when I was about to put back the glass, I saw that the glass nuts were almost at the very top of the door so I removed all the bolts just to get the window in since I was doing this by myself.

When I got the window on the door, I then mounted the glass nuts first then the guide bolts but could only force out 1 motor bolt.

I am planning on removing all the bolts first while the glass is still inside then install the motor bolts then glass nuts then guide bolts in that sequence. What do you think?

Thank your all your help.

Last edited:

Chard

Oct 11, 2005
Fairfax, VA
IJ.;1563143 said:
Plug the motor in and drive the X down before trying to bolt the glass back on :)

Just want to make sure what your saying here is to mount the motor then plug it to the switch and press the down button in order to bring the X down? Then I could attach the guide bolts then the glass nuts.

Last edited:

Chard

Oct 11, 2005
Fairfax, VA
IJ.;1562739 said:
Only way to do it as the Pinion gear is preloaded by the big clock spring and it takes some effort to change even on the ground, I used a phillips head screwdriver to lock one of the arms while I unbolted the motor.

When I had the guide removed with the motor attached to it, I just unbolted the motor from it but then I think that the preloaded spring on the motor just sprung and extended b/c the glass nuts is all the way to the top of the door.

Last edited: