Need tips on painting body side mouldings....experts??

tookwik4u89

Red T-shirt
Apr 6, 2005
Rockford, IL
I have a couple questions about painting side mouldings, mine are 89, I peeled the 5/8" strips off, then sanded the mouldings with 320 grit. What would you do differently as opposed to the body painting? still primer? additive in paint? I just want to make sure it sticks to the plastic and do it only once.

Rajunz

Fast Coonass
Apr 5, 2005
Austin, Texas USA
www.cardomain.com
On mine I sanded them as you did then went over them with liquid sandpaper (Home Depot). I used a one stage Automotive paint and also mixed some flex agent in the paint. (Automotive Paint Supplier). They came out looking factory painted and can bend without cracking.

tookwik4u89

Red T-shirt
Apr 6, 2005
Rockford, IL
Thanks fellas.......Lance, I should have PM'd you, I wasn't sure if you did the moldings.

I am prepping for paint as we speak...but no using rustoleum.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I painted some fairings for a friends motorbike way back and found that adding plasticiser to the paint would change the colour slightly and while not a huge deal it bugged me enough to add a top coat to the rest of the parts using the same mix!

da89soup

World I Am Gay Blue!!!
Dec 2, 2005
Fargo ND
Ken I used liquid sandpaper on mine as well as sanding and 2 years, extreme cold, and summer sun later still good as the day I painted them. I am sooooo looking forward to seeing the Red Rocket in new paint!!!!:icon_bigg

tookwik4u89

Red T-shirt
Apr 6, 2005
Rockford, IL
IJ....luckily they wont be same color as car so that wont affect me, and the bumpers are fiberglass so I'm not using any on those.

Ryan....I didn't see the liq sandpaper on home depot site, but i will go dig around this weekend in between sanding. I cant wait too, but Im approaching it slowly, as hard as that is:)