Need suggestions getting new wheels across border

Kevin

7mgte -> 7mgte swap done.
Apr 20, 2009
Windsor Ontario Canada
So im planning on getting some new wheels from detroit to save me some $$ (im in Windsor, ontario Canada so im right across the river from detroit and detroit is the closest major city.)

anyway i need some suggestions on what to do when i cross the border.. I obviously do not want to pay duties/taxes.. because the main point was to save money.

one suggestion was that i get the new wheels. mount them then throw my sawblades into my car and tell the customs that i got them for free for drag racing etc. But one problem is that i have new winter tires on them. so idk

Any creative suggestions please.

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
Get a receipt from a fellow Supra owner who lives in the area saying you paid only $5 for the wheels (the sawblades that is). Tell the border patrol you got them for so cheap because the guy got out of the Supra game and had no use for them.

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
Take out your spare. Have a couple friends meet you at the border. Leave three with the friend on us side. bring the 4th across in your spare wheelwell. Drop tire off with friend on canada side. Repeat 2x and on the 3rd trip across the 4th can come over in your friends spare compartment.

Kevin

Apr 20, 2009
Windsor Ontario Canada
honestabe;1469163 said:
Get a receipt from a fellow Supra owner who lives in the area saying you paid only $5 for the wheels (the sawblades that is). Tell the border patrol you got them for so cheap because the guy got out of the Supra game and had no use for them.

sounds like a good idea.. couldnt i just write my own receipt? i dont know anyone from the detroit area.. and they wouldnt hassle me over some used wheels would they? like take them away or try to get them appraised or something lol. im just thinking worse case scenarios.

lewis15498;1469165 said:
Take out your spare. Have a couple friends meet you at the border. Leave three with the friend on us side. bring the 4th across in your spare wheelwell. Drop tire off with friend on canada side. Repeat 2x and on the 3rd trip across the 4th can come over in your friends spare compartment.

i was thinking about utilising the spare too. but wouldnt the custom wonder why im crossing a a bunch of times?

I've had bad experiences with the customs.. got searched a few times and had to pay duties/taxes on every single thing (we went shopping) at their ticketed price and not the sale total.

Kevin

Apr 20, 2009
Windsor Ontario Canada
IJ.;1469577 said:
You'd be a Mk3 owner :runaway: <jk>

lol i get made fun of all the time for my car.. people call it a pos.. unreliable (only cuz it had a bhg).. etc..

people ask me what i drive.. i say a toyota supra.. they're all like woww sick man!! or awesome.. thats my dream car etc.. they i tell them its an mk3.. they'e like oh..:nono:

no matter what i still love this car.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Kevin;1469578 said:
lol i get made fun of all the time for my car.. people call it a pos.. unreliable (only cuz it had a bhg).. etc..

people ask me what i drive.. i say a toyota supra.. they're all like woww sick man!! or awesome.. thats my dream car etc.. they i tell them its an mk3.. they'e like oh..:nono:

no matter what i still love this car.
Just don't tell them its a mark III

I don't and I get to get away with having the 2jz in it.:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
Just have a someone other than yourself write the receipt before you leave to pick up the wheels, that way the hand writing isn't in your name. Just put the receipt in your wallet in case they search your Supra entering the U.S. (like they've done with my Supra a few times).

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
Kevin;1469549 said:
i was thinking about utilising the spare too. but wouldnt the custom wonder why im crossing a a bunch of times?

I've had bad experiences with the customs.. got searched a few times and had to pay duties/taxes on every single thing (we went shopping) at their ticketed price and not the sale total.

Have a few friends cross the border and buy them dinner. They can all bring a rim home with them as a spare. If you have a friend with a truck, you could probably get the cable/chain to hold up 2 tires.

Jayhall

WHIP THE PISS OUT OF THEM
May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
Just pay the taxes and duties so they dont seize your car and sell it for $50 to the scrap yard.

Im sure Adam will remember the troubles I had corssing the boarder with spare wheels and tires in the back of my truck. What a god damned nightmare that was. Id gladly pay $300 to avoid that mess again

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
I thought this thread was going to be about how to get a true JZA70/TT-R or a Skyline [a real CAR] across the border into the U.S. from Canada, not how to get actual wheels up to Canada.

Kevin

Apr 20, 2009
Windsor Ontario Canada
drunk_medic;1469881 said:
I thought this thread was going to be about how to get a true JZA70/TT-R or a Skyline [a real CAR] across the border into the U.S. from Canada, not how to get actual wheels up to Canada.

lol look at the name of this thread

Kevin

Apr 20, 2009
Windsor Ontario Canada
Jayhall;1469678 said:
Just pay the taxes and duties so they dont seize your car and sell it for $50 to the scrap yard.

Im sure Adam will remember the troubles I had corssing the boarder with spare wheels and tires in the back of my truck. What a god damned nightmare that was. Id gladly pay $300 to avoid that mess again

but that was all 4 tires and rims in the back of your truck. I was thinking of mounting the new wheels on my car.. then bring back the saw blades one at a time in the spare tire compartment of my car and friends' cars?

They wouldnt seize the entire car would they?

or i was also thinking of sourcing out 4 junk wheels and tires... mount my new wheels and tires and garbage the crap wheels over there? because i'd like to keep my sawblades too.

Kevin

Apr 20, 2009
Windsor Ontario Canada
i was also thinking.. what is i buy 4 junk/crappy wheels and tires for cheap locally somewhere just to drive over there in.. theb mount my new ones and throw them out over there.. i wont have to bother with smuggling anything through the spare tire or anything?