Need some serious advice ASAP! :)

Charlie97L

Jul 16, 2005
Clarksburg, MD
OK guys, I just got my baby back from the Toyota dealership where I was attempting to pass the devilishly ridiculous Maryland inspection. The damage (ie. what i need to replace to pass):

Turbo Manifold
P/S Rack
Differential
Brake Lines
P/S Line

What would you guys recommend for the diff, and P/S Rack? Those do have me concerned, as I can't imagine where to find any. For the differential, I'm going to look into aftermarket, since i'm replacing it anyway, but I haven't seen any around yet. The P/S rack has me worried. Do they make a remanufactured or aftermarket one?

Thanks guys, this has been a super informative site so far.

BTW, the guys at the dealership were drooling over the car, even with the needed repairs. I kept hearing "cherry" when I was picking it up.

Thanks a bunch! -Charlie

Last edited:

supraredliner

Oldschool player
May 8, 2005
NC
Remove the ps rack and use a modified 5.0 rack this will tighten up stering a little, and remove the weight of the power stering, and p/s equipment. As for the rear end I would go with Kaaz they have alot of exp. with toyota's mainly Trueno's, but there still good quality and you are aloud the option of picking the gearing that's right for you.

Charlie97L

Jul 16, 2005
Clarksburg, MD
so ditch the p/s? how do you modify a 5.0 rack? i've heard of that being done, but I want to make sure this stays legal, at least til i pass inspection.

suprana1990

Apr 4, 2005
NYC
you don't want to go thru that with the modified 5.0 rack.
you will be driving like superman(strength to turn steering wheels). if your p/s line is not leaking you don't need to change it. Its my 2cent on the p/s rack, whatever suits you.

i just think toyota is trying to rape you for all the parts listed.
i see they want to charge you outrageous price and labor cost to replace. i dont' see why you need all that changed if it is not worn or broken.

is the p/s rack leaking?
turbo manifold cracked? or the gasket broke? if so your car would be running like crap.

why do you need to change diff? is your diff making any noise?
i would recommend you to change the oil urself, since ur is a LSD look around for some advice on what oil to use.

brake line need changing? is the brake pedal spongy or leaking fluid? i just think you need to flush out the old fluid but be careful if your brake fluid is extremely black and dirty don't change the fluid, you might end up replacing the brake master cylinder.

Lolz, cherry.... i think they are refering to you my friend after what they will charge you to replace all the part listed from them.
i would try and find a different place to get your inspection done.
the moto goes "if it ain't broke, leave it".

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
What the hell? That makes no sense. What's wrong with your existing turbo manifold? The thing is cast aluminum, it has zero moving parts, I can't think of anything that could go wrong with it short of smashing it with a hammer.

I'm more than a bit suspicious about the rear diff too - if it's just leaking, that's an easy fix.

The inspection there must be brutal.

jbsupra89t

Achieving Balance...
Mar 30, 2005
NJ
GrimJack said:
What the hell? That makes no sense. What's wrong with your existing turbo manifold? The thing is cast aluminum, it has zero moving parts, I can't think of anything that could go wrong with it short of smashing it with a hammer.

HAHAHAHAHAH! Good stuff man I just about lost my drink...

That's worse than NJ inspection, jeez. :nono:

Charlie97L

Jul 16, 2005
Clarksburg, MD
thanks guys, let me put more detail.. sorry it's been a while since i've done the forum thing, and plus i had a hellish day at work.

the turbo mani is cracked, definitely, not bad, but it set off the sniffer. they showed it to me. the PS line is cracked, and one of the brake lines is split. those are fine, whatever, i just picked up a mani off a buddy for 25 bucks, and i figure i might as well replace the lines.

they say the rear diff is worn... any way i can test this? i dont think if i took it to any other place it would be noticed other than the yota dealer. i know they are probably just going with the "well it's 16 years old, it MUST be worn" idea to make some money. whatever.

the p/s rack i totally believe, the whole front end is sloppy as hell, and the car whines when i turn. however, that's looking to be the most $$ part to replace, so natch i'm going to get a 2nd opinion tomorrow.

thanks again so much for the help guys.

Last edited:

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Take it to somewhere else other then the dealer and see what they say. The rear diff I also find a very hard time believeing would fail you for inspection...