Need some north-westerners with importation experience, questions!

Kiraush

Jun 1, 2013
Medford, Oregon, United States
So I'm joining the Navy, and about half the reason is cars and the other half is some deep stuff.

But basically I'm going to get stationed in Japan for about 6 months at a time and then file to get stationed somewhere else, because you're allowed to have a car in your cargo container when you come back to the states. So you skip the shipping fees, but you will still need to get smogged and all those standard procedures, then I'll file to go back to Japan for another.

I've got a lot of it figured out, I already know how I need to have the Japanese copies of the bill of sale, title, and all that stuff for them to make an English version of.

But what I'm trying to figure out is if I need to follow the Washington exemptions of 25+ years or if because I'll be taking the cars to Oregon that I can follow the 21+ year exemption Oregon has?

f00g00

Supramania Contributor
Jul 2, 2007
Kuwait
If the car does not meet U.S. Federal safety standards and have the tags that say so the U.S. Government will not ship it. Check with customs on the base in Yokosuka if that's where you are going. Usually a car can be shipped for a PCS move but only 6 months sounds more like T.A.D.
When I had my car shipped from Japan it got shipped to the port of oakland which was an Army base back then. They didn't use commercial shipping.

Last edited: