Need some help

Justablurr

Sep 30, 2010
Ontario
I own a 1988 Supra non turbo and auto that I am painting soon, my friends neighbor has a 1988 turbo 5 speed and its been sitting for over 5 years, He wants $400 for the car. I was wondering if its worth it to do a 7mgte 5 speed swap or is this supra is a lost cause.

Thanks

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
$500 for a parts car, that's one way to look at it. If the car is more or less all there, and you have the space to put both cars, I'd say go for it. Hell, the transmission alone is worth a few hundred by itself if it's the R154...

Bleakvoid

Wide-------------bodied
Oct 7, 2010
Fairfield, CA
Do it. I've driven an 89 in both turbo and non- variants in stock form...it may not look like it on paper, but the 7mgte with an r154 behind it is much faster, and quite a bit quicker than the NA/w58 combo. As far as daily drivability, though, you might want to consider staying NA; the turbo model uses a bit more (and more expensive) gas around town. Staying out of boost is both not very satisfying nor gas efficient.

If it was me...$500 for a parts car is really hard to pass up, especially when a lot of our stock motor parts are fairly expensive to replace ($80 for the accordian hose?! Out your goddamn mind...). And, that's a WAY cheaper price than getting a JDM turbo take-out, plus transmission, plus ecu...the list goes on, but I won't. If his parts are in better condition than yours, I'd do it.

Jimbo

Creeper
Jul 15, 2009
San Jose
hell yeah you should do it. even if you dont swap anything over, you could fix it and keep it or fix it and sell it for more.

VooDoo

Draggin ass on his build
Mar 20, 2008
Valdosta ,Ga
Everything depends on the condition of the car. Rust, title (salvage or not), interior condition. If its a parts car for one you already own and has salvageable parts yes. . I doubt you would turn much a profit off it. Consider time you will spend disassembling it and hassle of shipping $10 parts to make an extra $400 if your lucky. I say post pics and you will get more responses.