need some help with Head advice/HG

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
.012 inches would be alot, which is why I said the head is junk in the first place, but now he's saying it's .012mm, still a usable head.

AllStreet

Banned
Feb 3, 2008
Michigan
If you decide to get a new Head, which in this case would be your best bet, get a metal head gasket, if you do decide to get the felpro and re-do it like that, make sure you tighten the bolts down to no high then 75 Ft-lbs, with a MHG you can go to 85 but nothing other that.

-You can pick a Supra or a Supra-

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
No... ARP recommends to tighten to 105 ft.lbs.(or something close to it) if using oil as an assembly lube... It's all about HG and bolt manufacturer. Follow the instructions.

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
ok, there still some confusion going around.. prolly my fault... clearing this up.. the head is warped .001mm over the .10mm so it needs to have .101-.102mm taken off.. i have ARP head studs that they are puting on the car, and iam having them torqued down to 82ft. lbs. BTW the head that was taken off my car was warped alot, .18mm.. and suprisingly the car drove perfect.. i had No idea it had a BHG untill i took the oil cap off.

AllStreet

Banned
Feb 3, 2008
Michigan
Do not torque the head to 101 Ft-lbs no mater what Arp says, it is proven that 85 Ft-lbs max is for your car " A Toyota Supra " Your block may not be able to hold 10 Ft-lbs and you will damage your block and head gasket, the gasket you will put on will be useless and you will blow it back up again, and then your done.. you may even crack your head, I just got done about 4 days ago doing my head gasket I torqued it to 75 ft-lbs and I am going to re torque it to 85 ft-lbs .

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
AllStreet;921891 said:
Do not torque the head to 101 Ft-lbs no mater what Arp says, it is proven that 85 Ft-lbs max is for your car " A Toyota Supra " Your block may not be able to hold 10 Ft-lbs and you will damage your block and head gasket, the gasket you will put on will be useless and you will blow it back up again, and then your done.. you may even crack your head, I just got done about 4 days ago doing my head gasket I torqued it to 75 ft-lbs and I am going to re torque it to 85 ft-lbs.

Allstreet - You have no clue what you're talking about. One should ALWAYS use the ARP spec when using their hardware...the torque spec is different for bolts vs studs and over torquing (lube dependant) is NOT a good idea. As stated before...use the torque sheet that comes with ARP hardware.

ARP has different torque specs based on using motor oil or moly for lube. The friction coefficient is different for each, producing a different resistance to torque on the hardware to attain the required clamping force for the HG. Suggest you read this (specifically "Using A Torque Wrench") before you spout off a bunch of crap again:

http://www.arp-bolts.com/Tech/TechInstall.html

AllStreet

Banned
Feb 3, 2008
Michigan
jdub;921902 said:
Allstreet - You have no clue what you're talking about. One should ALWAYS use the ARP spec when using their hardware...the torque spec is different for bolts vs studs and over torquing (lube dependant) is NOT a good idea. As stated before...use the torque sheet that comes with ARP hardware.

ARP has different torque specs based on using motor oil or moly for lube. The friction coefficient is different for each, producing a different resistance to torque on the hardware to attain the required clamping force for the HG. Suggest you read this (specifically "Using A Torque Wrench") before you spout off a bunch of crap again:

http://www.arp-bolts.com/Tech/TechInstall.html

I suggest you read " How to work on a Supra " You can go and torque down 101 ft.lb's Good luck with that btw: Until you learn how to rebuild an engine maybe you should sit out on this forum, [ Are you trying to have this kid ruin his motor ] Or help him? So far you are ignorant about this situation, Arp Does have a specific torque, but that is not for the " Stock " head gasket, if you knew anything about the 7m motor you don't want to go much over 75 Ft-lbs, But coming from you " An expert " Ill let you think/ say what you want, thanks.

Do something good for yourself, build a 7m motor.

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
AllStreet;922556 said:
I suggest you read " How to work on a Supra " You can go and torque down 101 ft.lb's Good luck with that btw: Until you learn how to rebuild an engine maybe you should sit out on this forum, [ Are you trying to have this kid ruin his motor ] Or help him? So far you are ignorant about this situation, Arp Does have a specific torque, but that is not for the " Stock " head gasket, if you knew anything about the 7m motor you don't want to go much over 75 Ft-lbs, But coming from you " An expert " Ill let you think/ say what you want, thanks.

Hahahahaha,hahaha,lol. Oh god.

What's with the cheesy lines you type after every post?

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
AllStreet;922556 said:

And how many 7M's have you built that have withstood thousands of miles of driving/racing???

Wake up boy, provide your proof or shut it.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
AllStreet;922556 said:

Typical response from someone that pulls crap out of their arse...I see you didn't take the time to read the link I posted or is it your sub-sized brain has difficulty comprehending any kind of technical info?
Just so anyone reading this flushes that crap down the toilet:

- ARP does not specify the type HG...it applies to all of them
- Torque values for ARP hardware are based on 75% of the yield strength for the fastener
- ARP specifically says to use the engine maker's torque sequence, but not the torque spec...you use ARP's torque spec
- ARP head bolts are limited to 75 ft/lbs using moly on an aluminum head...the motor oil spec is 110 ft/lbs (not 101)
- ARP head studs use 85 ft/lbs w/ moly, 120 ft/lbs (not 101) with motor oil...the lack of a twisting moment allows this vs bolts.

IMO, you should ALWAYS use moly for lube to reduce the friction coefficient of the hardware and attain the clamping force necessary to seal the HG. But, I have used the motor oil spec on a motor in the past and it is still running strong after 15,000 miles running 18 psi of boost...luck had nothing to do with it.

As far as trying to help this guy goes...I tried, but his "facts" changed from post to post and I gave up at post #22. Part of what I do here though is squash the kind of misinformation you posted...you will get the same treatment. The folks that have been on this forum for a while knows who puts out good info, and it's NOT YOU.

Sorry, but I'm going to believe the ARP engineers vs listening to "bubba" at the local engine shop or to people like you that spews BS and then spouts more BS to back it up. FYI, I've been working on motors of various kinds (including several 7M re-builds) for 34 years...if anyone in this thread is ignorant (and sure seems to want to stay that way)...it's you boy.

AllStreet

Banned
Feb 3, 2008
Michigan
jdub;922817 said:
Typical response from someone that pulls crap out of their arse...I see you didn't take the time to read the link I posted or is it your sub-sized brain has difficulty comprehending any kind of technical info?
Just so anyone reading this flushes that crap down the toilet:

- ARP does not specify the type HG...it applies to all of them
- Torque values for ARP hardware are based on 75% of the yield strength for the fastener
- ARP specifically says to use the engine maker's torque sequence, but not the torque spec...you use ARP's torque spec
- ARP head bolts are limited to 75 ft/lbs using moly on an aluminum head...the motor oil spec is 110 ft/lbs (not 101)
- ARP head studs use 85 ft/lbs w/ moly, 120 ft/lbs (not 101) with motor oil...the lack of a twisting moment allows this vs bolts.

IMO, you should ALWAYS use moly for lube to reduce the friction coefficient of the hardware and attain the clamping force necessary to seal the HG. But, I have used the motor oil spec on a motor in the past and it is still running strong after 15,000 miles running 18 psi of boost...luck had nothing to do with it.

As far as trying to help this guy goes...I tried, but his "facts" changed from post to post and I gave up at post #22. Part of what I do here though is squash the kind of misinformation you posted...you will get the same treatment. The folks that have been on this forum for a while knows who puts out good info, and it's NOT YOU.

Sorry, but I'm going to believe the ARP engineers vs listening to "bubba" at the local engine shop or to people like you that spews BS and then spouts more BS to back it up. FYI, I've been working on motors of various kinds (including several 7M re-builds) for 34 years...if anyone in this thread is ignorant (and sure seems to want to stay that way)...it's you boy.

Wow Mr. Engine builder your glory overwhelms me, let me know when you learn something, and I highly doubt you know as much as you do, google is a great website, I can see you used it, and how many Supra's have you owned?> like 1/2 you owned 1986.5 i bet, a ge motor, your just not understanding anything and year behind an engine don't mean shit, I only work on 7m motors, sorry i may just know slightly:sarcasm: more then you, but I would rather listen to you b/c you have 34 years. good luck man.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
LOL...more emotional BS...going into attack/defense mode I see.

:bowdown:

NOT!

And if you're going to call me a liar...be man enough to do straight out son.

I'm thinking this thread is done.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
AllStreet;921891 said:
Do not torque the head to 101 Ft-lbs no mater what Arp says, it is proven that 85 Ft-lbs max is for your car " A Toyota Supra " Your block may not be able to hold 10 Ft-lbs and you will damage your block and head gasket, the gasket you will put on will be useless and you will blow it back up again, and then your done.. you may even crack your head, I just got done about 4 days ago doing my head gasket I torqued it to 75 ft-lbs and I am going to re torque it to 85 ft-lbs .

READING and COMPREHENSION are very important if you're going to make Tech posts or attack members.

Mass said 101 using OIL as a lube (I thought it was higher for Oil but I only ever use Moly)

ARP are specific about this in their instructions.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
AllStreet;923093 said:
how many Supra's have you owned?> like 1/2 you owned 1986.5 i bet, a ge motor, your just not understanding anything and year behind an engine don't mean shit, I only work on 7m motors, sorry i may just know slightly:sarcasm: more then you, but I would rather listen to you b/c you have 34 years. good luck man.

Wow. Have a try at searching, like, checking out what jdub actually drives as a car. GE motor huh? Better add a "T" in there and a few hundred extra wheel horsepower on top of the crank HP a GE puts down ;).

I still see no proof of your vast 7M know how.

AllStreet

Banned
Feb 3, 2008
Michigan
Let me specify a little more ( I am talking about HEAD BOLTS ) Studs are completely different. Bolts should never go over 85 ft-lbs. READ FORUMS, and ask DR.JONEZ thanx,.

Don't question me, your all ignorant if you think anythign over 85 is better nice job.