Need some HELP varifying some electrical plugs and wires! '89 MK3 Turbo 7MGTE

Notorious J

Aug 25, 2012
Brick, New Jersey
Hey guys,

:1zhelp:

I just recently picked up an 89 MK3 Turbo. Digging into the vehicle I have come across a crap load of wires and plugs cut or unplugged.
I guess the previous owner must have ran into some electrical problems and instead of getting things repaired professionally, he
tried to fix it all himself.......I also believe the alarm system may have played a role in some of it, due to the fact the
car came with only one key and no alarm buzzers/clickers/opener/whateveryacallem.

He has done a horrible job and now I have been spending countless hours fixing it all.

Overall, I have repaired most of it. I purchased a HANES manual on the cheap and DL'ed the TSRM to
my laptop. However, there are a few things I can not figure out. I snapped some pics and marked each one.

The first section(pair) of pics is under the dash, near the back of the radio section. These plugs seem aftermarket but I am not sure?

The second section(pair) and third pic seem related (i would like to know what wires/plug these are for?). As you can see in the third single pic, these two wires were cut and just hanging there? They are the same colors as the wires that come out of the plug closer to the ignition/key ring.

The fourth pic is in the engine bay, below the air intake. Two plugs not connected to anything?

The last pic is under the manifold (cold side) above the starter area. Not connected to anything?

If anyone can help me with this stuff, it would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Thanks!

-Jay

Attachments

• Help1.jpg
    Help1.jpg
    488.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Help2.jpg
    Help2.jpg
    438 KB · Views: 24
  • Help3.jpg
    Help3.jpg
    383.2 KB · Views: 22
  • Help4.jpg
    Help4.jpg
    450.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Help5.jpg
    Help5.jpg
    375.3 KB · Views: 24

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
The first pic is what I believe to be diagnostic jumpers for the HVAC system. They are factory and meant to be there.

The second pic is the microswitch for when the key is inserted. If you don't get a dinging when the key is in then that is not working and may be why it was disconnected.

The third pic I would need to investigate further.

The fourth pic looks like a connector for a relay. There is one that sits over there under the air intake and I never actually figured out what it was for. Check the TSRM on the compnent layout page. It should point to what that should be.

The last pic looks like it could be for the back up lights if it is a manual or there a few vsv's for emssions stuff that reside under the intake manifold that might use that plug. If one of the wires is I bleieve black-red then it is back up lights and the PO probably pulled the engine and then put it back in with the plug disconnected and the other side of it is attached to the top of the trans which is impossible to reach unless you drop it.

This purely off the top of my head so I could be wrong. Hopefully others can verify or challenge what I have said.