Need some "gun experts" advice on values.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
I recently come into owning 3 guns, none of which I know the value of. I have a general idea, but I'm not 100%.

The guns are (1) AK47, (1) SKS, and (1) Mauser bolt action rifle. If anyone knows a round-a-bout worth, or would be interested in purchasing one, plz post. Thx.

robbo185

Apr 6, 2005
Chicago
mkiiSupraMan18 said:
I recently come into owning 3 guns, none of which I know the value of. I have a general idea, but I'm not 100%.

The guns are (1) AK47, (1) SKS, and (1) Mauser bolt action rifle. If anyone knows a round-a-bout worth, or would be interested in purchasing one, plz post. Thx.

sell them to Al-Qaeda....you could probobly get 3 camels and a car bomb

outofstep

Mar 31, 2005
fwb
mkiiSupraMan18 said:

Would need to know more than just the name to give you an accurate idea. There are lots of different makes and submodels within those 3 guns. I'll just give you a range from low to high end.

AK47: 300-700
SKS: 150-250
Mauser: 100-300

Darkcyde

Workin' Man
Mar 30, 2005
La Villa Strangiato
I have a 8mm mauser with grenade sights and all the nazi stampings from WWII. It's worth more than $300

Last I checked, you could get an AK for $275.(semi-auto) All you need is an auto-sear for fully automatic.

outofstep

Mar 31, 2005
fwb
Darkcyde said:
All you need is an auto-sear for fully automatic.

No. You need more than just an auto sear to run full.

If you try it though, enjoy 20 years in prison for violating the NFA.

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
It all depends on the sub-type (manufacturer, caliber, matching numbers, documented history, etc). www.oldguns.net or www.gunbroker.com should give you an idea of what you're looking at. Also go find a gun forum specific to each weapon and ask there. Unfortunately I don't have any experience with any of those particular models.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
Thanks for the info guys, as well as the links. I kinda like the SKS, I thought about keeping it. These guns are legal, like I dont have to have a permit or anything for them, correct?

And about shipping it to Vancouver, lol, I dont think customs would like that too well.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
In gun magazines, I see AKs for less than $200, and SKSs for less than $100 all day long. I don't know about the Mauser.
It depends on certain things, as to whether it's worth more than that. I've seen AKs go for several thousands of dollars, but we're talking about old and rare models.

meggs521

Apr 6, 2005
South Bend
mkiiSupraMan18 said:
Thanks for the info guys, as well as the links. I kinda like the SKS, I thought about keeping it. These guns are legal, like I dont have to have a permit or anything for them, correct?

And about shipping it to Vancouver, lol, I dont think customs would like that too well.

As long as you don't do anything to violate 922(r) you should be fine. As in if they are pretty much stock, you're good to go.

-edit- heh, this was outofstep -edit-

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
Damn Matt: Hard up for cash already?

Any who, the sks and the ak will fetch more than the mauser.

Most mausers found on the market now are chech republic or Yugoslavia copys. I can point you in the direction to get them for $100 brand new with minor blemishes.

If you indeed have a mauser with WW2 nazi markings on it in full working order then its worth a whole lot more to a private collector than a pawn or gun shop.

Btw...

My sup is done. Got a wire problem though... maybe you can come down and snap some pics?

meggs521

Apr 6, 2005
South Bend
meggs521 said:
As long as you don't do anything to violate 922(r) you should be fine. As in if they are pretty much stock, you're good to go.

-edit- heh, this was outofstep -edit-

How about you stop posting as me.

As for the guns... I have no idea how much. But they're fun... somedays.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
here we go, pics followed by #'s...

AK #'s:
EAA Corp
Cocoa,FL

Saiga 7.62x39

Made in Russia by Izhmash

SKS #'s:
SKS 762

Made in China

(chinese crapp)

Mauser #'s:

(side) 7.62x54R
M44 Russian CAI
Georgia, VT

(top) 1947r

These are all the markings I could see, if anyone knows anymore about these, please post it. Thanks.

*edit*

Messy garage, crappy pics, I know. The SKS pic would not load. But its kinda visible.

Last edited:

outofstep

Mar 31, 2005
fwb
meggs521 said:
How about you stop posting as me.

As for the guns... I have no idea how much. But they're fun... somedays.

Log out of my computer then ay?

As to the guns. I would also remove those numbers. It's like posting your vin/license number.

That's not a Mauser, that's a Nagant. You'd be lucky to get more than a hundred bucks for the Nagant. A Mosin Nagant is a commie gun from WW2 (actualy since long before ww2).

I would really look at your local laws for the SKS. Depending on where you are, it could be an illegal setup. Even with the AWB sunset, there are many places that a folder + hi-cap are big no-nos.

The "AK" is not an AK, it's a Siaga. Close cousins though.

Last edited:

Wreckless

Master Lurker
The top one, the Saiga, is a Russian attempt to "sporterize" the Kalashnikov (AK) system. They aren't worth very much, if that example can take the double-stack magazines (I don't think it can because double stack guns tend to have dimples in the reciever on either side of the magazine well) its worth $250-350, if its a single stack magazine then its worth on Par with a garden variety SKS, $150-200.

The SKS is actually the most valuable gun out of that lot, as Chinese SKS's were only imported and popular for a few years before firearm imporatation from China was outlawed via an Executive Order that Clinton signed. There should be some importation markings on the barrel left by the company that imported it. Assuming that it was one of the early ones (good probablity since its Chinese) then its legal to have the folding stock on it, and because of this it'd be worth $250-400 depending on what all you also had for it. Ironically, my Dad has an original Norinco Chinese SKS with the exact same folding stock on it, only my Dad also added a spike Bayonet and the 20 round fixed chinese magazine.

Edit: outofstep makes a good point that some cities/states still have laws prohibiting folding stocks and the like despite the sunset of the 1994 crime bill. Note that your gun is still subject to the earlier 1989 "bush bill" that started the whole thumbhole-stock craze because it banned import of rifles with pistol grips. That stock is technically illegal on a pre'89 SKS. You can probably check the serial number range (all but the last three digits or so) with the importer who should have stamped their name on the barrel somewhere so you can check when the gun came into the country, and if it was subject to the '89 bush ban.

The "mauser" isn't a mauser at all, That is an M1944 Mosin-Nagant (pronounced Mozeen-Nah-gone) Carbine. Its identifiable as an M1944 (aka M44) because of the fixed side-folding bayonet, earlier carbines were made from original full-length M1891/30's and cut down to carbine length and called the M1938. Your M44 should be marked as such as it was made in carbine length and as such it will shoot a lot better than most M1938's.
I have an M1938 that I paid $80 for at a gun show, Russian M44's in good shape can be found on gun store racks for $100-150. For the money those guns are more fun than I can possibly explain, the short barrel and the full-house rifle cartridge (which uses slower burning powder to take advantage of the longer M1891/30's barrel) results in a spectacular muzzle flash and blast that will clear out the lanes next to you at almost any shooting range. Typically I'll refer to it as my "Noisy Maggot" instead of Mosin-Nagant. :)
Here's a pic of me firing my M1938 a few months ago:
boomstick.jpg

Last edited: