Need some expert emissions help! 87 B2200 Mazda Pickup

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Pretty hard to figure this out with that wiring schematic. Your plan with the Y/L wire seems reasonable, but I don't really understand why the igniter is in parallel with the coil. Usually the igniter drives the coil.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Its a beautiful thing :D
p1792347_1.jpg

Not sure if you are looking at the schematic right or not, or maybe I am not, but the igniter is driving the coil. The coil has no ground unless the igniter supplies it. The body of the igniter is grounded which isn't shown in the diagram, maybe that is where the confusion is.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
That is beautiful. Congrats.

Unless I'm missing something, the schematic file shows two terminals on the igniter, and they are in parallel with the coil. I am assuming B/W is 12V.

Does the igniter have a third terminal? It would makes sense if it had a third terminal that is ground.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Yeah I figured that's where the confusion was, edited my post minutes before you replied. I believe the body of the igniter is grounded where it is bolted into the distributor. Going to get the idle mixture tuned in tomorrow morning and back off to the emissions facility, I will hope for the best! I also re-routed and replaced all the old vacuum lines. There were several in the wrong place and in bad shape. I bought 20ft of vac line and ran out! This thing has so much vac line is like an octopus down there.
p1792350_1.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Yup that makes sense. I had thought the ECU could be grounding the coil through Y/L, but then the ignitor would be not doing anything which made no sense.

I assume you tossed the aftermarket ignitor?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Good lord man, I thought some of the cars I had worked on were bad... that's just a nightmare. :nono:

No wonder you've had all these problems...

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
OK now I am pissed...basically wasted 30 bucks on a test. I took it in this morning and it failed with almost identical numbers. W T F! Take it home and throw the scope on it, SAME rich command as before... great. So I started jiggling things and come to find out not only was there the RPM signal problem but on top of that there is an intermittent connection at the vacuum sensor. I was able to wiggle the wires and bam back to a good signal. I took the pins out and pinched them tighter, put it back and its mostly good now, but if I really tug the wires I can get the signal o drop out momentarily. Next time I go to test, the scope is in the vehicle and it will be verified that there is a proper feedback signal before I pull into the bay...God damn this this, I look like an idiot at this facility this will be my 4th time testing.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Awesome man! My *only* experience with AZ emissions was rather amusing. My mom and dad had driven the car for the prior 75k before I got the Cavalier, and a couple years later, it came up for emissions. The only two things I changed from their driving habits was the use of 91 octane (waste of money, but gas was cheap cheap cheap back then, and I was naive), and I drove the PISS out of this thing. Funny thing is, lots more miles, and a lot more abusive of an owner, and it somehow passed with about HALF of the emissions out the pipe from the prior test my parents had taken it in for. :p

Not sure how to explain that...

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
te72;1792927 said:
Awesome man! My *only* experience with AZ emissions was rather amusing. My mom and dad had driven the car for the prior 75k before I got the Cavalier, and a couple years later, it came up for emissions. The only two things I changed from their driving habits was the use of 91 octane (waste of money, but gas was cheap cheap cheap back then, and I was naive), and I drove the PISS out of this thing. Funny thing is, lots more miles, and a lot more abusive of an owner, and it somehow passed with about HALF of the emissions out the pipe from the prior test my parents had taken it in for. :p

Not sure how to explain that...

Haha, maybe you cleaned all the carbon out of that engine. It's funny how California gets a rap for strict emissions, but Arizona is even tougher, well at least in Phoenix.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Maybe, who knows? I didn't know AZ had stricter levels for testing, that seems strange. Would be curious to see if my car even comes close, but I'd have to drive to Utah to have it tested, and there is NEVER a good reason to drive to Utah...