Need some amp and speaker advice

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
So I am looking for quality pieces to finish my stereo in the Supra. I'm looking for a new amp and some component speakers to go in the 6.5 inch door pods I plan to buy this week. If anybody with experience could critique my choices of offer suggestions for superior products, that would be appreciated. I am going to quality, clean sound without breaking the bank. The amp needs to be a 4 channel which I will be bridging for the sub and then using the remaining 2 channels to power the door speakers. The current sub is a pile of crap Sony 10" that will be replaced in the future but not now.

AMP
JL Audio J2 320.4
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_23049_JL_Audio_J2_3204.aspx

Speakers
Boston Acoustics SC60
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_22110_Boston_Acoustics_SC60.aspx

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
JL Audio and Boston Acoustics are pretty good, but for an extra 200 bucks you can a better sound set up.... Personally I would with out a doubt go with an Elemental Design amp and speakers set up, I promise you they wont let you down... You say you want quality and clean sound, this means that if your bass is not of quality as well then the whole sound experience will suffer... For this reason I wouldnt recomend bridging up a 4 channel amp to a subwoofer..... Yes, the amp you are looking at can power it but it was never designed or ment to to unload the rms necessary to provide a good clean thump... Same goes for the elemental amp I recommended.... If you trully want a great sound set up then go ahead and use two amps, one for the speakers and one for the subwoofer... I understand that you are just using a sony subwoofer at the moment and anything can power it, but in the future if you want to get a real subwoofer that reproduces actual bass and not noise then you will need an amp that will deliver.... For now just power all your speakers with the 4 channel amp and later on worry about your bass... :)

Here is what I would recommend
4 Channel ED (Elemental Desing amp)
http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_22&products_id=46

ED DLS RS6
http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_108&products_id=547

Any questions? let me know :D

Last edited:

Scott 88-1JZ

Dec 9, 2007
California
I like Boston acoustic speakers or Polk Audio. They deliver good sound for the price. I installed many of them in my time (stereo installer for 3 years although it was 8 years ago). I am in the same boat planning on my sound system next. The route I was going was to buy a 5 channel amp by alpine about $350, 6.5 seperates, 6x9s, 1 x 12" sub. I was going to go all Boston speakers and roughly all together would be about $800 + money for the wood for my custom box to house the 12" and 6x9's. I have never heard of the above brand but checking them out they seem good. I can only go by the opinion of the porster above. But seems like good value for the money.

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
Scott 88-1JZ;1624638 said:
I like Boston acoustic speakers or Polk Audio. They deliver good sound for the price. I installed many of them in my time (stereo installer for 3 years although it was 8 years ago). I am in the same boat planning on my sound system next. The route I was going was to buy a 5 channel amp by alpine about $350, 6.5 seperates, 6x9s, 1 x 12" sub. I was going to go all Boston speakers and roughly all together would be about $800 + money for the wood for my custom box to house the 12" and 6x9's. I have never heard of the above brand but checking them out they seem good. I can only go by the opinion of the porster above. But seems like good value for the money.

Why do you want 6X9s? Once you have a subwoofer then they will become obsolete... The reason to use 6x9's is to have a better bass output without using a subwoofer.... When you have a car with a trunk, the trunk becomes the airspace to those speakers allowing them to deleiver a fuller and richer bass than the door pannel speakers on most cars out there... Thing is we dont have a trunk, so it be pretty much pointless to use 6x9s and a subwoofer.... 6 1/2 components will deliver a more crisp, tight, and live sound with the aid of a good SQ 12 inch subwoofer.... I can do alot more with $800 and sound better :).... Elemental design is something you wont find in Best Buy or Car Toys, thats why I love them sooo much... I want something unique in my car, something others dont have (kicker, polk, pioneer, kenwood, Boston and so on).... As well as brand who stands by their products 100 percent and actually use quality parts to manufacture their products.. I have installed all sorts of systems, its cheap and easy to make noise..... But to have a great sound it takes thought, quality, and $ spent right.... :D

Last edited:

Scott 88-1JZ

Dec 9, 2007
California
Why do you want 6X9s?
I like the mid bass sound and rear fill they provide. And i do not want to use the 4" or 4x6 stock speaker size back there (I forget what it actually was). I have done a system that had a 12" and two 6x9's in a box, each speaker having a seperate chamber. This was in a jeep cherokee and it sounded really good. That is why i wanted to try it in the supra hatch. 6x9's and subs sound way different to me.

6 1/2 components will deliver a more crisp, tight, and live sound with the aid of a good SQ 12 inch subwoofer.
Yup. Thats why I will have 6.5 spereates in the door.

I can do alot more with $800 and sound better :).... Umm ok. Let me know , I am open to hear your opinion. so far, for your 2 suggestions you are at $415 need a sub and a rear set of speakers and another amp plus install hardware.

As well as brand who stands by their products 100 percent and actually use quality parts to manufacture their products.
Thats good to know. Good quality is hard to come by. Have you had to warranty any of their products yet? My old favoraite amp maker was MTX with their thunder series. They would replace there amps in the warranty period. although my amp didnt blow till 10 years later. I dont know about their latest stuff.

I have installed all sorts of systems, its cheap and easy to make noise..... But to have a great sound it takes thought, quality, and $ spent right....

I agree. I have to. I have doen some budget systems that would rival the quality of a system costing 3 times as much.

mnracer550

Sep 15, 2010
Duluth, Minnesota
My roommate just did 4 alpine type r 6.5s in his m3 with pioneer 600.4 amp (not sure why he went pioneer :/ ) 2 in the rear and 2 molded into the doors. sounds absolutly amazing. there actually reasonably priced off ebay too. ED and Boston make a great product like everyone has been saying too, personally i always thought jl was overpriced for what they offer. might just be me though..... if ur lookin for good sq/spl subs RE and Fi are both great and again arnt ridiculously priced like jl and boston. good luck