Need some advice on buying a supra mk3 91

mcammarn

matt
Feb 24, 2012
olympia wa
Shadow grey interior is a plus! Exterior looks nice from pics. But everything changes when actually in person. Mileage, don't let that get to you in my opinion. It's a Toyota, they go over 250k if kept up. So in the meantime, you could get a 1 or 2j or replace it with a gte. But for 2k I think it's a good deal

Maple191

Mar 21, 2012
Toronto
That 2nd car posted should just be scrapped and its really hard for me to say that about any supra. If its that bad in the pictures you can imagine what hes not showing you.

dlgsus

Jun 25, 2013
virginia
Oh wow I was expecting a different answer oh well I'll take your word for it.....but one last question how much do you think to change the 91 supra to a stick shift? or should I think about buying one that already has one plus with a turbo

MNBmk3T

Aug 2, 2011
Burnaby, BC
You can always do the 5-speed swap. There's informative, step-by-step write ups of everything on the forums. The 1991 you posted looks pretty good actually. the body looks straight and like others have stated before, Shadow Grey LEATHER interior is always a plus.

Scooter7M

Apr 16, 2013
Hopkinsville, KY
Speaking from experience, the n/a auto is a slug. And as stated above, the black one is good for parts, but not for $1800. There's a thread you should look at titled "what to look for when buying a supra" or something like that. A lot of good info.

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
the first car looks good. perfect car to do the engine-trans swap. i'd try to talk the guy down though. the second car is only good for parts, and barely at that.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Things that make me say "Meh" about the first link:
- Rear seats not shadow grey?
- No pics of driver's side seat bolster that's usually cracked or ripped
- Not the turbo model
- Auto slushbox
- Parking by Braille tape around front bumper
- Wiring harness poking out of console near the shifter

On the other hand:
- '91
- Shadow grey interior!

Stuff to check:
- The aforementioned driver side seat bolster
- Look for rust around the top of the rear wheel wells, in the spare tire well, and in the jack / antenna side compartments in the hatch. I've seen many cars where the exterior looks fine, yet the hatch side pockets are completely rusted away.
- Check the coolant in the radiator and look for ugly milkshake looking residue under the oil cap. Suspicious bits here are likely the result of a blown head gasket.

dlgsus

Jun 25, 2013
virginia
Yeh I'm really looking for a daily driver and with some time I'll start adding on to it.they gave me the address to the place turns out it's a private own dealership.I tried to look up reviews and nothing.this alone has me a little worried ive already read stories on the internet,guy buys supra and then he drives off head gasket blows.

And that 88 supra is nice but just so happens I got exactly 2grand lol

dlgsus

Jun 25, 2013
virginia
I don't know you guys think I should save up more and buy a better one(I do want a turbo anyway) or take the risk.

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
Do not count on a Supra as your daily driver. Ever. Mine has rarely made it more than 100 miles without needing something fixed. I paid $1600 for mine and it needed an engine. I spent 4K before it ever drove on the road.
-AM3

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
dlgsus;1949828 said:
And that 88 supra is nice but just so happens I got exactly 2grand lol

If this is going to be your only car and that's all the money you have...get something simple and reliable, like a Honda Accord. Blowing all your cash on a Supra with no money left for repairs is a fool's errand.

f00g00

Supramania Contributor
Jul 2, 2007
Kuwait
dlgsus;1949725 said:
I'm thinking about buying this http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/cto/3884534931.html I don't if when I buy it the engine will go out because so many miles....so what's your opinion?
It looks too clean for 194000 miles. The paint job looks new and they didn't remove the side molding and painted it too. Pile of tools in one interior pic on the passenger seat, not a good way to showcase your car.

dlgsus;1949742 said:
Thanks for the advice I guess the only way I can tell if it's good or not is to see it in person...that's what I'm afraid of lol.oh and I was looking at this to http://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/3906645972.html it's a 5 speed but do you think it will be too much money to put in to it?

The paint job is probably original and severely weather beaten, the hatch is wrong, its a pre 89, will cost a lot of money to make it a chick magnet.

If your entire budget is 2000 dollars then look at getting a non Supra for now.

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
f00g00;1949882 said:
It looks too clean for 194000 miles. The paint job looks new and they didn't remove the side molding and painted it too.

91-92 Cars had color matched side molding from the factory. I doubt the car has been repainted.

dlgsus

Jun 25, 2013
virginia
Yeh I guess I'm just going to save up more maybe 2grand more and see what's out there,and yeh foogoo that car looks to good to be true I guess for that low of a price.one of the guys on here was talking about a engine swap but I think I'm jus going to TRY and buy one off somebody that has taken good care of it.And one big question still remains.....are supras reliable cars or do you find yourself under the hood a lot

Thanks