need shop for head work

super supra dave

Oct 12, 2007
manassas va
if any one has a good shop that has done alot of work with the 7M please let me know. need to get the block and head re-worked. head has a nasty pit in it from pry bars(was not a good day, but got the head off after getting rid of the head on the stock head blot, then had to spin the head like a winch around the block.) the head is not warped, block is in really good shape. looken to punch the block out to .040 over and the valves to 1mm over. would like for the shop to put the head together and shim it, i can do the rest. and a nother thing is blue printed the pistons and rods. so if any one has a good place in mind send me the phone number and tell me what you kind of work you had done. thanks.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
I used google to search "auto machine shops" "automotive machine shops" and other such terms... also if you do find one, punch the name into google and see what turns up, and a shop with a website usually means they do pretty good work.

Blade2001

Apr 9, 2007
TX
you didnt say where you are.. I am assuming Virginia from your profile.. Back in 2000, I took my 7M-GTE head to "Performance Machine" located at I-495 and I-95 on the sounth side, around springfield. Not sure if they are there anymore.. They did a fantastic job.. I had head resurfaced, valves reseat, rebuild head.. Engine still running strong..

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
Instead of purchasing a set of aftermarket valves, you may want to look into swapping in a set of 2j valves from a GTE or GE block (same thing). The valves are just a bit bigger than 1 mm (closer to 1.5mm oversize) and would work well with a set of regrind cams because they are just a bit taller than the 7m valves. This helps cover the loss of base circle without compensating with a super thick shim.

If you dont want to go with regrinds you can just cut off the top of the stem.

The 7m keepers fit the 2j valves and the stems are the exact same diameter too.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
p5150;972945 said:
Instead of purchasing a set of aftermarket valves, you may want to look into swapping in a set of 2j valves from a GTE or GE block (same thing). The valves are just a bit bigger than 1 mm (closer to 1.5mm oversize) and would work well with a set of regrind cams because they are just a bit taller than the 7m valves. This helps cover the loss of base circle without compensating with a super thick shim.

do you have pictures of this? if i knew this i would have got some 2j valves for my 7m head thats sitting at the machine shop...

super supra dave

Oct 12, 2007
manassas va
p5150;972945 said:

thats good stuff man. i have every thing i need for the head now. full ferrea valve train and BC 272 cams and some OBX cam gears (ebay store, kinda nervous about them, but willing to give a try and post about them.). so getting 2jz valves would hurt my bank agen.lol. but you should make a post about the use of 2jz valves on the 7m head.

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
Sorry - I dont have pics but there are a few guys that have done it. Look up defiant7m

I had mocked it up in my shop but I havent ran it myself. I measured it all out with the micrometer - I cant see any reason why it wouldnt work, and you wouldnt have to purchase the Ferrea retainers and keepers either.