Need Serious Help. Its Been Too Long!

NJsupraA70

Ex-Supra Owner
Sep 18, 2005
NJ
Ok guys I need some serious help here. Im over 2 years into a rebuild and for the past 2 months I’ve been troubleshooting with no success. I cannot get my motor to run or start at this point. I completed my rebuild about 4 months ago. At that time I was using an Safc2 and a Lex AFM(See my Mods list below). The motor ran fine on initial startup and I put about 30-40 miles on the engine. Everything seemed to be great.
At that point I decided to buy the maftpro and run speed density. So I sold my safc2 and lexus afm. Upon completion of installing the maftpro, the engine started up and idled well. I went ahead and let it warm up for about 5-10 minutes. So I hit the streets and 15 minutes into driving, I notice hesitation, even under partial throttle. So I decide to to pull onto a side street. At this point the motor is sputtering and barely staying alive..my w/b is showing the a/f’s get leaner and leaner, dies and I try to start it a few times. at this point doesnt even want to start, stumbles for a second and dies. I check the codes at that point and get None. I ended up having to get the car towed back to my house.

The following week I extensively go over my maftpro wiring to check everything is ok. I went over the wiring multiple times, and everything checked out. At that point Dr.J and Bob were very helpful in helping me troubleshoot to make sure everything was set correctly. I even went step by step with bob over the phone to confirm. At that point Wellington(Supralover2000) was very nice to loan me his maftpro unit to see if maybe my unit was bad, but that was unsuccesful. I and I thank him for further helping me troubleshoot, along with Mike, Brent, Justin727, johnny and whoever else I forgot.

Here is a list of reading I was getting from the maftpro during monitor mode.:

DC: 105.5
VE: 77.0
FO: 15
TPS: .51 closed and 3.50 fully open
MT: 48.7
o2: 5.01
FE: 100
ASC: 100
AFR: 20
CF: 100
TAF: 12.5
RPM: 0
MP: 99.8
UT: 0
BD: 0

HERE is the list of relevant mods:

- 550cc lucas injectors
- no j-tube, no fpr, no fpd,
- Aeromotive afpr
- Walbro 255, 12v mod
- maftpro w/speed density
- brand new o2 sensor

Well after testing spark on each cyl I found that I was not getting spark to every one. I put a new set of plugs gapped at .31 at that time to make sure they werent fouled. I found that after maybe 5+ cranks the engine would stumble to life for maybe 20 seconds run like crap. Fuel pressure is at 30 psi when the car was running so I know I am getting fuel. After pulling the plugs I noted that the ones that were not firing were soaked with fuel.

At this point I gather up a spare CPS, Ignitor, Coilpacks and ECU courtesy of JoeyDaze. I also throw in another set of new plugs . After trying to swap in each spare part I still had NO success. I also took off the ignitor fender mounting brack and scraped all the contact points to make sure the ignitor baseplate was getting a good ground. NOW HERE is something interesting. I decided to run a quick ground wire to the ignitor base. i go to start the car and it fires right up!! For about 45 seconds the engine ran amazingly, I was astonished. idle was great, no misfiring, f/p was good, then it suddenly began bogging down and died again. AFter trying to start it again, it WOULDNT, and was acting like it was before. I redid all my ground wires and battery cables, and adde extra grounds(which I mention below).

SO NOW I go ahead and buy a brand new engine wiring harness from champion toyota. I swapped in the new harness but still had NO success. The car is still behaving the same way.
This brings us up to this week. I went ahead and redid every ground wire and battery cables, and added a couple extra ground wires for safe measure. Put ANOTHER new set of plugs in.I also changed the IGN fuse in the drivers kickpanel at the advice of someone else. Still doesnt want to
start. it turns and turns but wont start. I found that im still not getting spark on all cylinders. I checked spark on #5 and 6 real quick and got ZERO spark. But once in a while it will get spark. and it seems the spark doesnt even start until after a few seconds of cranking. the first second or two of cranking produces no spark, but then it will start sparking.

Im definately getting fuel because the spark plug are wet with fuel whenever i pull them, and the plugs that fired are black. also the fpr is reading the proper pressure when when trying to start the motor. I know my maftpro wiring is correct. Im 100% positive, ive been over it so many times its not funny.
I even pulled out and recalibrated the cps AGAIN and its dead on, so is hard timing.
Everything lines up at TDC. but for some reason when im cranking the motor with a timing light on, the crank pulley notch is nowhere to be seen. at this point I am getting NO engine codes.

If you have any thoughts or insights please share. Its been 2 1/2 years since I been able to drive my supra(besides the 30 miles i put on it initialy after the rebuild). I appreciate the help guys. This has gotten to be very frustrating and I am out of ideas at this point. Thanks in advance.

- Steve

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Sounds like you've gone thru most of it...

Still, I would suggest a few things...

1. Try hooking the stock afm/MAF back up (just eliminate the MAFT as a problem...I know U swapped it w/another, but just try the stock one for a minute).
2. Follow the troubleshooting steps in the body electrical (ignition switch)
3. Same as number 2 for the the Starting system

Believe me I know how frustrating it is and you'll hear from me and others about the things you've already checked. I got tired of the very many challenges I ran into with the 1J and 2J swaps and just brought it all back to 7M/stock, so that I can enjoy driving for a bit.

I have some extra stuff I can send U to try... like Circuit Open relay, main relays, etc, etc. While those troubleshooting steps may not immediately produce results, it does make you verify that each component (the starting ciruit is looking for), is working correctly... including the wiring.

PM your address and I'll send ya what I got, tho it sounds like you've got a few Supras around U already.

Here's sumthin' else.... try swapping known-working components, one-for-one with someone else to see if you can at least verify they work on their car (or their parts on yours). Hopefully another Sup-owner has this kind of trust/generosity. The risk with this is, if U fry something on their Sup, you will have to replace it for them too. Good luck!

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Just thought of something else....

Since you mentioned timing, I remember when I did my 1st BHG fix....

I accidentally left the timing belt tensioner loose and the belt skipped, after I set the timing. Took me quite some time to find the issue, since I was so certain I had set the CPS perfect with everything at TDC.

Anyways, just a shot in the dark, but since you have fuel and erratic spark, the ECU and starting circuit is probably okay.

NJsupraA70

Ex-Supra Owner
Sep 18, 2005
NJ
Satan said:
Just thought of something else....

Since you mentioned timing, I remember when I did my 1st BHG fix....

I accidentally left the timing belt tensioner loose and the belt skipped, after I set the timing. Took me quite some time to find the issue, since I was so certain I had set the CPS perfect with everything at TDC.

Anyways, just a shot in the dark, but since you have fuel and erratic spark, the ECU and starting circuit is probably okay.

Thank you very much for the insight Satan. I will look into your suggestions. As far as relays go I might need a favor from you, but I will let you know. Thanks again.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
something i encountered during my buildup, was also the timing belt tensioner. the car would do somewhat of your description, but it wasnt LOOSE!

the bracket used to mount the tensioner pulley is actually NOT very strong. it bends easily. my car kept jumping teeth, it would start up, run like a champ, then just die, and every time, the belt was a tooth or two off on one or both of the cam gears.

i just bent it back straight. the mounting piece with the hole in it should be STRAIGHT, no bends at all. (it looked like it was supposed to have the bend..?) but it's not. i bent it straight, re-set base timing, and it fired off and ran flawlessly. :)

i see you already checked the 7.5A IGN fuse, as i mentioned in the other thread. it's a likely culprit, unfortunatly not yours, though.

what's your vacuum reading?

something that i also encountered after i got the car running, is that when i revved the motor, as rpm got close to 3k, the motor would sputter and die unless i let off the gas. i replaced the entire fuel system, so i had ruled that out completely.

(new walbro pump, thought that was bad, put ANOTHER NEW wallypump in, new fuel filter (again!) new feed line to the rail, removed FPD and stock FPR, replaced with Aeromotive AFPR. that's alot of new stuff, right? well, apparently, SOMETHING, SOMEHOW got into my fuel system! when i pulled it apart, i replaced the filter again, the softline going from the tank to the filter, and the softline from the underbody hardline to the motormount bracket.

when i pulled out the filter and the origional softline connecting it to the tank, the banjo bolt on the softline was COMPLETELY plugged! while i was under there, i also blew out the stock hardline with an air compressor, to make sure there were no obstructions in there. i have no idea how anything got in there, but after that was replaced, everything went perfectly.

my symptoms on that were: as rpm increased, fuel pressure would DEcrease, instead of increase (boost reference AFPR).

might not be your problem, but it's something to think about. here's the link to that thread, and it has some pics in there, too. it's long, so browse through it til the end...
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6026&highlight=fuel+filter

good luck!

-shaeff

NJsupraA70

Ex-Supra Owner
Sep 18, 2005
NJ
Thanks for the help Shaeff. Here is an update from last night:

- Timing is correct, all the timing marks line up perfect. cps is alighned perfectly. And I am happy to say Im a getting 10 degrees timing with the engine cranking, so I think its safe to say thats not the issue.

- I am suprisingly getting spark as of tonight, but I cant understand why it wont turnover. really confusing.

- My fuel pressure is reading about 20-25 while cranking. I had the fpr set at about 32 psi. originally. does that fp when cranking look normal?

- Chevyeater - the grounds for the ecu under the plenum are in place. I even ran an extra ground from that location to the fender. I am very surprised that I am getting spark now, but will not turnover. Im lost. I will also have to look into the dowel pin missing idea that you have. Thanks

- Also I finally got my hands on an afm thanks to Jimmy. I am going to install in a day or two. If i can rule out the maftpro with this afm, then I will go ahead a look more into the fuel ayatem. I will keep you guys posted. Keep the ideas coming! :)

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
try this:

jump the +B and FP terminals in the diagnostic block. this will switch on your fuel pump. (watch out, the jumper will get hot) do this until full fuel pressure is reached, THEN remove the jumper and try starting the car... see if that works?

-shaeff

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
shaeff said:
try this:

jump the +B and FP terminals in the diagnostic block. this will switch on your fuel pump. (watch out, the jumper will get hot) do this until full fuel pressure is reached, THEN remove the jumper and try starting the car... see if that works?

-shaeff

if you use a 12-10g wire it wont get hot.

i forgot to mention in the thread on sf- but you say 2 cyl arent firing or fire ever so often. swap the coil packs around and see if it moves.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
dbsupra90 said:
if you use a 12-10g wire it wont get hot.

i forgot to mention in the thread on sf- but you say 2 cyl arent firing or fire ever so often. swap the coil packs around and see if it moves.

Yeah, I know you have spark now, but like he said, you could have 1 bad coil in the set.

I also have an extra coilpack and the wires that go between them and the harness....

Let us know how that AFM works out too....