*Need opinions, insight, comments, etc. Questions about a block.

TurboFreak

NOBAMA
Jan 22, 2006
East Coast
So as some of you may or may not know I picked up a 7mgte block last weekend. I got some questions. I'm not tooo familiar with engine internals so bare with me.

-Is there any way to check if the block is usable in its current form?
-If you all had a block like this in unknown condition, what would you do?
(I don't wanna do a full rebuild but if I have to then...)

I'm assuming I need to disassemble everything and check certain areas, clearances, etc. What do I check? Do I need special tools? It's not bhg (dark oil with no coolant in it) and all the pistons are there and seem to be in good condition, as well as the cylinder walls.

:1zhelp:

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Check for warpage first, unfortunately, you probably don't know if it's ever been machined before. Just follow the TSRM specs for clearances and what is considered tolerable and what isn't.

themadhatter

Jul 5, 2006
Vegas
The only way you will know any thing about the motors is going to be pull it apart. Just follow the tsrm and make sure every thing is in spec

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
hey turbo freak...if you like I have the tools to measure the cylinders and deck warpage...on Saturday if you want to bring the motor up to the shop we can take measurements and then look up the tsrm specs.

I have access to the most high percision bore guages you can get...the shop is ISO certified...no charge bro...

Pm me if you are interested...oh and no charge bro...we will drop a dial guage in the bores and check for any out of round or flaired.

TurboFreak

NOBAMA
Jan 22, 2006
East Coast
Oh man I would but I'm down at school in Salisbury and the motor is at my house above Baltimore. I'm not gonna be home till May... I'll hit you up then if that's still possible.

EDIT: Thanks for the offer BTW!!!!

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
No prob...offer will always be open! Strip down to the bare block and crank and we will check that two...we can probably test to see if the crank is bent also! And sense its a bare block a should take a die grinder to all the internal sharp edges....could also bring the head and we can toss that in the ultrasonic cleaner!

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
I'm not awesome..I just know what its like to not have a money tree in the back yard....I have access to this equipment from work so I will help whoever I can with what little I have...