Need new rear

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
Okay so, my baby needs a new rear differential. it's a 1989 supra turbo. (3.73? i don't remember)

but anyways, i don't know if i should just buy a brand new one, or get the one i have completely rebuilt.

with that being said, does anyone have any recommendations on good rear ends?

also what ratio is it, is it 3.73? or something different?

does anyone know of a good rear differential guy in the raleigh/clayton area?

sorry for so many questions, but i just want to make sure everything gets done right.

so again, just to clarify, if the price is right i may get a new one, but also if anyone knows of a good rear end builder i may get it rebuilt.

so i thank everyone in advance for the input (no really i do, i really appreciate the help)

-Dan

huellydoll

Aug 12, 2011
Kentucky
Supra_dan;1756530 said:
Okay so, my baby needs a new rear differential. it's a 1989 supra turbo. (3.73? i don't remember)

but anyways, i don't know if i should just buy a brand new one, or get the one i have completely rebuilt.

with that being said, does anyone have any recommendations on good rear ends?

also what ratio is it, is it 3.73? or something different?

does anyone know of a good rear differential guy in the raleigh/clayton area?

sorry for so many questions, but i just want to make sure everything gets done right.

so again, just to clarify, if the price is right i may get a new one, but also if anyone knows of a good rear end builder i may get it rebuilt.

so i thank everyone in advance for the input (no really i do, i really appreciate the help)

-Dan

digihonk82

Mar 28, 2011
Olathe, KS
one piece i can offer is removing the diff. is mandatory for service. If youve ever taken a look or replaced one like I have youd know the subframe block access to the rear of the diff. Also the diffs in supras weigh like 80lbs. but if you are strong like me you can use a floor jack and your muscles to get it out ;)
sorry just finished reading your intro and Im sure you didnt need all that info. My BAD but the route i went was finding a low mileage used 3.73LSD

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
Yeah that diff. was heavy as hell lol, my string bean arms could barely move it.. i think i'm going to just go to a tranny shop and see if they can build it or whatever, hopefully for not a crazy price, i don't feel like spending $1,200 plush shipping plus install for a kaaz lsd.

also, idk if it matters, maybe the shop will know, but does anyone know the ratio? is 1989 turbo supra 3.73?

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
bioskyline;1759255 said:
aslong as the gears are fine, new bearings and seals arnt going to be that bad.

Lets only hope lol...when i took the magnetic drain plug out, there was like a 1 inch round metal/gunk around it..sooo yeah, i hope i don't need new everything :/

i just dropped it off at a tranny shop, he said he'll call me tomorrow after he checks it all out