need new fan.....what to get

BoostJunkie

Nov 27, 2008
Clarksville, TN
If I want to get an electric fan, what should I look for. How much cfm does the stock flow? Is it best to get two fans or is one enough? Any particular fans suggested?

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
yes the stock one. if you knew what your were doing and how to actually make it work better then stock you'd never ask these questions. Not trying to be a dick but this is not the area to "improve" with out understanding fully. Considering the mood around electric fans on this board, start googling ;)

staticpage

Banned: Scammer, liar, cheat and thief
Oct 3, 2007
Cincinnati
there are reasons to install Efans. In some cases there an upgrade, sometimes there not. use the search there are a ton of threads on this.
but an answer is, the ford taurus e fan works well and its cheap.

nnate1228

Dec 4, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Im running a koyo oem replacement radiator. Im using the shroud and dual electric fans off a dodge intrepid. They fit the radiator almost perfect and throw a bunch of air. I went to a you pull it yard, installed them and they burnt out. Went back and exchanged them and had to re install. Do yourself a favor and get them new. Ebay has them for 89.00 I believe. They have a low and high setting. If you hook the high setting up to the power, they will blow on high all the time. Miniature hurricane without spending big $ on flexilites.

Attachments

• Dodge Intrepid Fans.gif
    Dodge Intrepid Fans.gif
    36.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

stile

Jul 3, 2009
lynchburg va
i am rocking two slim fans from advance and have them hooked up to an aftermarket thermal switch with its own 30amp relay and a 30amp fuse cools great but wish i had just gone to the junk yard would have been a lot cheaper lol

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
I have read the numerous threads on electric vs stock fans and nobody ever really provided proof in either case of which is better. It was mostly just the older guys saying stock is better based on what they know and then the rest following along. I have no proof of either myself, so i wont say one is better than the other, but i have no idea much air it pulls at idle (engine at 650 rpm) compared to how much air dual electric fans pull at idle, because really idle is the time you need the fans most.
I know the stock fan pulls a huge amount of air when you rev the engine up to 3k rpm etc, but who is sitting in traffic at 3k rpm?

stile

Jul 3, 2009
lynchburg va
CyFi6;1395349 said:
I have read the numerous threads on electric vs stock fans and nobody ever really provided proof in either case of which is better. It was mostly just the older guys saying stock is better based on what they know and then the rest following along. I have no proof of either myself, so i wont say one is better than the other, but i have no idea much air it pulls at idle (engine at 650 rpm) compared to how much air dual electric fans pull at idle, because really idle is the time you need the fans most.
I know the stock fan pulls a huge amount of air when you rev the engine up to 3k rpm etc, but who is sitting in traffic at 3k rpm?

very true! i was told that a friend of mine Luis in va beach gained 13rwhp by swapping his out but i never got a chance to look at his dyno charts so you know how that goes lol

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
there has been proof on how the stock fan out flows almost all e-fans and it is proved when people take off there stock fan put on a shitty e-fan and then there car over heats in stop and go. there have been threads on it and there have been threads where people put the stock fan back on and the car doesn't over heat.

if you do go to e-fans just make sure you can get as much cfm as possible.

nnate1228

Dec 4, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Ya, Im not getting into what is better. I inherited my car with dual electric fans and one burnt out so I tried some of those fans off ebay. They didnt move enough air so I went back to the dual electric fans off the dodge intrepid. Keeping in mind I didnt have $500+ to buy a new aluminum radiator and flexalite fans. I like the looks of the aluminum radiator and electric fans, as opposed to the stock fan.

There are a lot of things you have to consider, your radiator, climate, whether your using the a.c. or not, daily driver or for race, rural area or traffic, etc etc. I was using mine as a daily driver in south florida, sitting in traffic, with the a.c. cranking, so I needed to move some air.

Question is are you moving enough air to keep your car cool matching it to your goals and conditions?

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
i think the main reason the "old timers" do not stick behind electric fans is due to the simple nature that for most its cheap instead of what is needed. Then given the fact that an efan may out flow the stock clutch at idle, but only at idle.

BoostJunkie

Nov 27, 2008
Clarksville, TN
Ok, but does anyone know the cfm of the stock fan? I figure if you match an efan with the flow of the stock then it should be good. I removed the AC and condensor, I have a Godspeed radiator and AMS intercooler. So not much blocking air flow.

Most say that going to efans free up a little HP because the load of the clutch fan is gone. My stock fan needs to be replaced and if I can get some efans then I would do that.

nnate1228

Dec 4, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
I was trying to find out the same info. Get an efan that would match or move more air then the stock. Couldnt find it. Like I said before, Im running dual electric fans off a dodge intrepid.
It was 94 today in south florida, had the a.c going, and sitting in traffic. No problems with my car running hot. You can get them off ebay for 89. Search for dodge intrepid fans.