need lexus afm help

1sic7

owner of the 5 day mk3
Apr 2, 2005
Long Island NY
www.ifxcc.com
not sure where to post this but i searched high and low looking for a write up on how to install the lexus AFM and what parts i need to do it i have the houseing but im not sure what electronics i need to do it any info shared would be very help full

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
Nothing really special, just use it to replace the stock AFM body. Use your electronics or you can try the Lexus one. You'll have to stretch and/or lubricate the stock accordian hose to make it slip over. What ever you're using for an air filter should work with the Lexus AFM.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Doesn't matter which electronics you use. I lubricate the accordian hose with a bit of oil to get it to slide onto the Lexus AFM.

Aside from that it's just plug and play if you have 550cc injectors. :)

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
The electronics definitely matter, sometimes. I can 100% vouch for that. Some cars can run the "10" or "11", others run poor with the opposing AFM. From what I've noticed the late 89-92's are less likely to run with a 10, and the 86.5-early 89's will likely run with 10 or 11.

I myself prefer to reuse the stock electronics. You already know they work and you don't know if the Lexus AFM electronics were exposed to something that ruined it.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Bishop92t said:
The electronics definitely matter, sometimes. I can 100% vouch for that. Some cars can run the "10" or "11", others run poor with the opposing AFM. From what I've noticed the late 89-92's are less likely to run with a 10, and the 86.5-early 89's will likely run with 10 or 11.

I myself prefer to reuse the stock electronics. You already know they work and you don't know if the Lexus AFM electronics were exposed to something that ruined it.

True enough, but if you use the Lexus ones, you can sell your stock AFM with electronics, and get money back. I guess I should have added not all cars like to, but I still can't figure that one out yet, I would think the output would be the same/similar for X airflow, so how can some not like it. But I know people have had problems in some cars and it works in others. I'm running the Lexus electronics in my 88T, it loves them. ;).

More stuff to take into consideration. :D

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
And technically you could get the Lexus electronics that are the same as your own. Some Lexus got the 10, some got the 11. 86.5-early 89 got the 10, late 89-92 got the 11. If the part numbers match, the Lexus AFM electronics will work because it's the same as the Supra AFM electronics.

1sic7

owner of the 5 day mk3
Apr 2, 2005
Long Island NY
www.ifxcc.com
ok to be on the safe side correct me if im wrong just take the electronics from the supra box and put it in the lexus box.....oh and one more thing very very very off topic im looking at the maxx evo to4 adtaptor does it mount to the stock manifold i would believe so just not a 100%

adaptor-01.jpg