Need help!

amd_hcds

Dec 20, 2005
Chicago,IL
Hello everyone..
Note: I have read searched and looked around before posting but couldn't find something to help.

So I had a massive oil leak that leaked everywhere so I wanted to clean the engine so I wouldn't get a nasty oil burning smell everytime i drive the car. I used an engine cleaner. I have a bad tubro so there was oil in all the intake. So I started cleaning hoses and everything until I got to the AFM sensor it was oily too I cleaned it inside and out. Put everything back like it was (I've changed plugs on a supra many times so I know where everything goes back to). Everything is nice. I start the car and it starts fine then RPM goes very low to around 500rpm and CEL light is on. I check the codes at first and I got codes 14 24 31 42 51 52 I'm guessing that's an electrical problem cause I did the knock sensor re-wire a couple of weeks ago and all was fine. so all those codes popping at the same second and they all seem to be electrical related somehow. I wiggled all the wiring of areas where the codes are and reset the codes and started the car now the car starts fine idles fine no CEL light BUT as soon as you touch the accelerator It starts choking and wants to die but doesn't not die. I checked the codes and it still has code 24 and 51. and the interesting thing is diconnecting the afm doesn't change anything in any way connecting it or disconnecting it is bassicaly the same thing so i'm thinking bad AFM or bad AFM wiring? How do I check the wiring? Any ideas? And code 51 is water temp sensor I have that broken but the gauge works fine. Would that being as it is causes so much trouble?

Any input appreciated.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
If you get a new one it will run like it did before the clean.

unless you got watter in the spark valley, 7ms hate that.

amd_hcds

Dec 20, 2005
Chicago,IL
Well I didn't clean it with water. I cleaned it with a engine cleaner spray so everything is dry...Thanks for the heads-up I was freaking out for a second. New thing learned.

amd_hcds

Dec 20, 2005
Chicago,IL
mkiiichip;1573447 said:
If you get a new one it will run like it did before the clean.

unless you got watter in the spark valley, 7ms hate that.

Thank you for your advise. I finally got the AFM today and put it in the car and it runs like it did before the clean! Thanks alot man!