need help with dirtbag roommate.

malloynx

Mar 30, 2005
NC
here is my situtation. for the past 8 months i have been living with this total POS roommate. when i first moved to NC i got a 2bedroom 2 bath all for myself. this kid calls me and asks to move in. (another fellow student)

he is the most worthless/ lazy/ unresponsible person i have ever met. he is always late on payment; still owes me 2 months for untilities.

anyway here is the problem, last week he moved out ( thank god) he still owes feb. rent and i'm getting notices on my door. he is on the lease as i am.. i pay my half every month and on time.. i have perfect credit and i don't want this fuck messing with it. now the apartment is coming after me for the other half. i told him before he left that he is still responsible for feb and march.. our lease expires next month.

is there anything i can do to get this punk to pay. tommorow i'm going to get a copy of the lease and i'm going to notify the housing office at school.

i have been living on my own for the past 10yrs and this is the first time i had to deal with a shitty person. i need all the advice i can get. someone told me i can take his ass to court if he doesn't pay up.

buckshotglass

I love all your sounds.
The Judge will say this, exactly: "What does it say on the lease?"
If your agreement to pay half is in writing, you may have a hassle with your pos roomate, but the landlord has no basis to mess wih your credit, and won't anyway, because he has better things to do.
Just keep accurate records of everything, and you will be fine.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
You can take him to court, but getting him to pay is likely still going to be a problem. Unfortunately the landlord will probably take it out on you anyway, as you're their best bet to get the money. If you're lucky you might be able to force the landlord to sue you both - and if you can prove to a judge that your responsibility has been met, you can walk away and leave the landlord responsible for collecting from the deadbeat.

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
That sucks to hear... Have been in a similar situation last year...

Do you guys have tenancy associations over there? I got alot of really great info from them here, and it was all free... They even helped with all the paperwork needed...

malloynx

Mar 30, 2005
NC
thanks for all the advice. i called the landlord today and she is on my side. she is going to contact the mother and i'm waiting to hear. also on monday; i'm going to get the school involved.

Godspeed

88 supra turbo 5spd
May 13, 2005
Asheville n.c.
i say threaten to kick his ass... but by the way in nc if you do take him to court for this amount they will moe than likely tell him he has tp pay but in turn if he doesnt all they will do is place a judgement on his credit stating that he owes you and didnt pay thats all. i know i was going through this with my sisters bf when i sold him my 1g soup he wouldnt pay his half so i got stuck with it and thats all they did. he still owes me $900 good luck man and hate to hear about his sorry ass.