Need help with a small question about Redline

gsmokez

Feb 18, 2007
Brampton, Ontario
Okay so I was looking at this site that showed the differences between the 89+ Supra and the pre-89 model, I think it was wikipedia, and I found out that the 89+ has a lower redline than the pre-89. I just wanted to know if lower redline was better or worse than higher redline and if there are certain advantages and disadvantages to both then please let me know. And yes I know this a noob question but I'm only 16 and still looking for a Supra so basically I am a noob.

gsmokez

Feb 18, 2007
Brampton, Ontario
Oh yeah and for the people that are gunna tell me to search it up I've actually googled it and all I got was information about Red Line Synthetic Oils or sumthing.

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
I just did a search on engine differences and it seems the 89+ blocks were a little beefier. Beef = weight = more strain on internals. Lower redline would be a little safer.

If you're looking for something Supra related, use the search function on here instead of google. It's right by the top of every page, if you didn't know. Btw, what the hell does being 16 have to do with it? You click search and try a few different word combos til you find what you want. It's not rocket science.

bowsercake

Aug 24, 2005
Irvine, Ca
Um, the 86-89 is missing the counter weights on crank for piston 2 and 5. The 89-93 has these counter weights for all pistons. The 89-93 has more weight, so it has a lower redline but it should be smoother. So, a little more smoothness (89+) versus less weight (pre89). But is reality, it does not matter than much and you shouldn't worry about it.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
yep, heavier crank, so they lowered the redline...

I know a few people that run the heavier crank becasue it's smoother, and use the older ECU so they have the same old redline. Works fine for them...

vas85

SupraNut
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, AU
gsmokez said:
Okay so I was looking at this site that showed the differences between the 89+ Supra and the pre-89 model, I think it was wikipedia, and I found out that the 89+ has a lower redline than the pre-89. I just wanted to know if lower redline was better or worse than higher redline and if there are certain advantages and disadvantages to both then please let me know. And yes I know this a noob question but I'm only 16 and still looking for a Supra so basically I am a noob.

I don't know where you read this... I've got a 88/8 JDM GT Limited, which is when Series 2 started (the apparent 89+ is really 8/88+) and anyway its redline is 6500... and with my highflowed CT26 at 10psi im making peak HP @ 6300rpm.

As for why it was lowered on some... there was something mentioned somewhere here about the crank? Don't quite know... the Group A Supra racecar. which was 7M revved to 7500rpm redline...

*Edit* reading above is the reasoning for the lower redline, the balances... thats the one.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
my late 89 has the higher redline so im thinking its the 90+

and the blocks IJ pointed out in one of his posts how the later the year of it the better as he was comparing i think 89 and 92~ something to that extent

and by search there is a search feature on this site hehe

Datsrboi

Loud pipes Save Lives
Jul 31, 2007
Haltom Texas
www.cardomain.com
I doubt this is in the search option but:

My car is an 87 NONTURBO so I am guessing the redline is set alittle higher. I have a 7M turbo swap into the car but do NOT know what year it came from. How do I go about knowing where the redline is so that I do not go shooting pistons at ricers on the road lol? A small bit can do lots of damage.

CzA

Jan 15, 2007
Toronto
there's no point in reving higher if your not going to be able to make more power. part of being able to rev higher and still keep making power is the cams. ( If i'm wrong guys please correct me).

PEace.........