Need Help with 1.5JZ Engine Build

BJ91T

Aug 28, 2006
Baton Rouge LA
I am attempting to get my 92 going again but before I can start throwing all my parts together and back in the car I have a few questions I need answered. First off I have a 1JZ head that is very nice all stock and from what I am told the head is stock thickness. I also have a 2JZ-GE Block with GE Pistons yada yada also all stock.

so my questions are

1. Using the 1JZ head and the stock 2JZ-GE block what HG thickness should I be looking for to achieve a usable compression ratio? Also what Motor does the HG need to be for if it matters?

2. After seeing Scott Make 600 on a stock GE block I am assuming I will be fine to make 500 for now on a stock block at least until I get the tune 100% etc...At which point I will be going forged pistons and rods... am I wrong in thinking this will be ok?

3. What Oil pump would you folks recommend for this setup? Guessing it would be a wise idea to ditch the GE pump and possibly run the 1JZ pump until I rebuild then run a new TT 2J pump?

4. What other Misc mods are needed to do this setup? I know I will need a TT 2JZ water pipe, Anything else?

Thanks In Advance for any help
BJ Crifasi

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
The 2jzge block is the same as the GTE, so you're block, rods, and crank, are just fine for 600whp. But it is all in the TUNE as well.

The best way to figure out your compression ratio is to find your bore, stroke, deck height when the piston is at TDC, volume of the piston dish, and the combustion chamber volume. Then take that information and plug it into a CR calculator and -boom- you know your custom compression ratio for your setup. Just plug in different thicknesses starting with 1.5mm and go from there.

I don't know about the water pipes, but I am almost 80% certain I am going 1.5jz. The only issue is I would need to do more research to decide on the water piping, wiring harness, and ignition.

Buy a new oil pump. A stock ge or gte pump will do everything you need since they have good oil pressure, where-as the 7m needs slight mods (shimmimg, etc).

BUT MOST OF ALL - DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH AS WELL TO COMPARE TO OTHERS BEFORE MAKING DECISIONS. For example: I plan on running a nice 9:1 compression ratio AT LEAST. Granted, I will also be running 93 octane all the time as well and want good off-boost response and spool time. My current 7mgte is running a solid 8.8-8.9:1 compression ratio and it has been a dream.

---------- Post added at 05:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:15 PM ----------

Here's a good one I've used before when I did my previous 2jz and 7m builds.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/compcalc.html

gennro

Mar 12, 2008
Alamogordo, NM
1. Using the 1JZ head and the stock 2JZ-GE block what HG thickness should I be looking for to achieve a usable compression ratio? Also what Motor does the HG need to be for if it matters?

Stock 2J-GE is 10:1 CR. The stock HG is .38mm and a 2JZ-GTE HG is 1.38mm IRC.
I'm pretty sure that will drop it down about to about 9.1:1 with a 1JZ head due to the 1JZ combustion chamber volume is bigger then a 2J-GE head.

2. After seeing Scott Make 600 on a stock GE block I am assuming I will be fine to make 500 for now on a stock block at least until I get the tune 100% etc...At which point I will be going forged pistons and rods... am I wrong in thinking this will be ok?

The stock GE bottom end is pretty stout considering I have heard of plenty of people running 600+ on them without issue.

3. What Oil pump would you folks recommend for this setup? Guessing it would be a wise idea to ditch the GE pump and possibly run the 1JZ pump until I rebuild then run a new TT 2J pump?

I would go ahead and order a 2JZ-GTE Oil pump now and replace it.

4. What other Misc mods are needed to do this setup? I know I will need a TT 2JZ water pipe, Anything else?

The taller water pipe and the 2JZ-GTE water pump.

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
gennro;1584346 said:

Stock 2J-GE is 10:1 CR. The stock HG is .38mm and a 2JZ-GTE HG is 1.38mm IRC.
I'm pretty sure that will drop it down about to about 9.1:1 with a 1JZ head due to the 1JZ combustion chamber volume is bigger then a 2J-GE head.

The stock GE bottom end is pretty stout considering I have heard of plenty of people running 600+ on them without issue.

I would go ahead and order a 2JZ-GTE Oil pump now and replace it.

The taller water pipe and the 2JZ-GTE water pump.

So the water pipe is different between the two heads? And the combustion chambers are bigger.... hmm... I have more to think about now with this build! lol Thanks for the information gennro!

BJ91T

Aug 28, 2006
Baton Rouge LA
So I could safely run a 1.5 JZ with a stock 1jz head gasket and have a usable compression ratio? (around 9:1)

Thanks again for everyone's insight on this matter
BJ

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
If you run a GTE oil pump on a GE block, you might or might not like 120PSI+ peak oil pressure. I don't mind.

If you do not need a crank angle sensor, there's nothing wrong with the GE oil pumps. They are different for the oil squirters in mind.