NEED HELP ! Wheel Bearings

nnate1228

Dec 4, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Mechanic says I need new rear wheel bearings. Thought they needed to be pressed. We went to a part store together and the person at the counter pulled up 1986 toyota supra wheel bearings and brought us up bearings that dont need to be pressed. Its sunday morning and he took out the axle and says those are not the right bearings.
Need help! I need info on the wheel bearings for the Supra. Im in south Florida, would any of the local part stores have them? Any pictures of the bearings? pressed or not? Where can i get them?

Thanks!

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
You need a press, a strong 2-jaw puller, some strong snap ring pliers, and an assortment of large sockets or such. The sockets are substitutes for the special tools for pressing the races in and out. You can use the old inner races to press in the new ones, but be careful.

Don't forget to get new grease seals!

Print the TSRM pages and give them to the mechanic. The order of assembly is important.

Asterix

nnate1228

Dec 4, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Thanks for the replies. I forgot I had an extra rear axle with the bearings and everything so we switched out the axle. Didnt have to buy any new parts, just put some time into the labor.