Need help understanding Boost PSI Drop after FMIC Install...

pyrows666

Oct 11, 2009
Alviso
When i got this supra, the waste gate was shimmed... the boost guage was reading 12-13 with stock inter cooler.. I installed an older HKS FMIC and now it boost to 10psi

Here is a picture of the intercooler.
p1779963_1.jpg

there it is sitting in the chair.. sorry about the quality...
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Anyways.. i know there is some kind of formula to follow but im not sure what its called. Am i doing somthing wrong? ive checked for boost leaks and i found nothing.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Boost is simply a measure of the system's resistance to air flow.

Lower boost doesn't necessarily mean there's a problem. You either have a leak, or you simply removed a very large restriction in the system.

How's it drive? Much better spool and throttle response?

pyrows666

Oct 11, 2009
Alviso
Acceleration is not the same as it was when i had the stock inter cooler on... feels a little less satisfying. Although i notice a difference in the Spool and response -- Yes that part is better. for some reason it just does not seem to be as "Violent" when i accelerate.. I don't know if that is the right terminology to use... Im certain I do not have leaks. Then again, i'm wondering if the decrease in PSI is due to the Larger volume, and the lower air Temps, caused by the inter cooler. its just not want i expected upgrading the inter cooler.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Lower air temps mean denser air and higher psi numbers. There is more pressure drop with higher air temps.

pyrows666

Oct 11, 2009
Alviso
The after market guage is sitting in my radio bezel... so Could the fact that my air temps are cooler with the HKS FMIC be the reason that my PSI is reading 10PSI??? with the stock intercooler the PSI was 12-13... ???

MKIIISupraGuy

Sep 14, 2009
Lousy-ana
I'm with Grimjack.... where is it plumbed? Also, does the gauge show a steady vacuum at idle? Mine is rock solid at -19 w/ idle at 750 (100 over stock)

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
After ~7 years, my old IC (Carter) had multiple holes in it. Rocks and road debris takes a toll on IC's. Did you pressure test yours before it was installed?

pyrows666

Oct 11, 2009
Alviso
MKIIISupraGuy;1780023 said:
I'm with Grimjack.... where is it plumbed? Also, does the gauge show a steady vacuum at idle? Mine is rock solid at -19 w/ idle at 750 (100 over stock)

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

I dont know how to explain how it is routed. The Guage shows a steady vacuum idle -20

pyrows666

Oct 11, 2009
Alviso
CajunKenny;1780055 said:
After ~7 years, my old IC (Carter) had multiple holes in it. Rocks and road debris takes a toll on IC's. Did you pressure test yours before it was installed?

Okay now i will check it again with the Boost Leak finder with some added smoke to see and make sure it is not leaking....

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Just trying to help out...

What you're seeing is the opposite of what my buddy's results were. After we put his front mount and 2.5" IC piping in, he went from 10 psi to 12.