Need help or advice

redmk3turbo

The King
Feb 7, 2009
Plainwell, MI
So i have a 88 turbo the car has just been fully rebuilt, and now within a few minutes of driving the car it smells like im burning the oil and the motor is getting warm too quickly

gotsomegetsome

Age Quod Agis
Mar 31, 2008
san jose
redmk3turbo;1356086 said:
So i have a 88 turbo the car has just been fully rebuilt, and now within a few minutes of driving the car it smells like im burning the oil and the motor is getting warm too quickly

I had a problem when I redid my motor with the o-ring that stops the oil from seeping out of the head through the cps. in fact I still have that problem!

anyone know where I can get one because my local toyota shop wont get one for me. bastards.

it would drip oil when the engine got hot because the viscocity of the oil dropped just enough for the oil to squeeze through the crappy o-ring I got with some gasket kit. that oil which then dropped onto my exhaust manifold burnt the oil and would cause my engine to smoke. sucks but nothing TOOOOO horrible

tbcmorris

SM Expert Thread Derailer
Mar 14, 2007
PRUVEN PERFORMANCE MILFORD CT
check for leaks, take some pics, and post them, add some die...basic diagnosis none of us are under your hood so we cant see anything but to throw ideas which isnt going to be helpful.

milisakeracing

Jan 30, 2006
Kalamazoo, MI
1uzsupra.com
gotsomegetsome;1356149 said:
I had a problem when I redid my motor with the o-ring that stops the oil from seeping out of the head through the cps. in fact I still have that problem!

anyone know where I can get one because my local toyota shop wont get one for me. bastards.

it would drip oil when the engine got hot because the viscocity of the oil dropped just enough for the oil to squeeze through the crappy o-ring I got with some gasket kit. that oil which then dropped onto my exhaust manifold burnt the oil and would cause my engine to smoke. sucks but nothing TOOOOO horrible

When I still had my 7M-GTE, I had the same problem with the o-ring at the CPS. Jeff down at Champion Toyota hooked me up along with the rest of the gaskets I needed a the time. This little o-ring was cooked solid and so brittle it broke when I removed it.

Not sure this is your issue though since I doubt it would make the engine get hot too quickly. As already suggested, look for leaks around the engine bay. Check the spark plug valley and wells. My valve cover gaskets leaked when I purchased the car and this is one spot quite a bit of oil tends to collect when that happens and then it sits in there and cooks. Check the IC piping and turbo inlet for oil too.

As for the car getting hot too quickly, do you mean you're overheating, have a lack of temp. control, or what? How's the coolant? Has the thermostat been replaced? How's your a/f? Are you leaning out? Lots of things to check on.