Need help interpreting compression test results.

Enano

Sep 3, 2012
Miami, FL
Whats up guys.. finally got around to doing a compression test on my car since it recently started smoking like a freight train out of the breathers. (no smoke from exhaust) Only time it smokes from the exhaust is intermittent when I do a hard pull. Sometimes a large puff of smoke will come out sometimes not.

All spark plugs had whitish electrodes except cylinder 5 and 6 which were a bit darker.

According to previous owner head was redone and 2.0mm MHG was put on. I find this believable since my 57 trim has spiked to 23 psi by accident and nothing happens. Absolutely no loss of coolant in around 5 months.

Cyl 1: 120
Cyl 2: 120
Cyl 3: 90
Cyl 4: 122
Cyl 5: 50
Cyl 6: 10

So I'm just looking for everyones input because the car still runs pretty damn hard for having 1 cylinder at 10 and another at 50. It just burns a shit load of oil. Like 1 qt every 4 days LOL 2 days if I get on it alot.

Bogwon

Dec 1, 2012
Bremerton, WA
According to TSRM 128psi is the minimum, how true is that? Enano has some 120ish readings, would this be considered "OK" just due to the car's age?

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
My car ran pretty damn hard when I had a dead cylinder too (10psi). I tore it down and found broken ringlands in the dead cylinder. You numbers overall are all below minimum spec for a healthy motor. It's time for a tear down.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Are you referring to Ebrahim Kanoo who's drag purpose race engine rumored to run insane amounts of boost tripping the traps in 6sec flat @ 240mph? That's a different than what's under your hood. They have to run a bigger ring end gap than your average street car.

Oops, nevermind. I didn't realize that was the OP's screen name.
When doing a compression test after getting the low results I usually pour in a capful of motor oil in the cylinder and redo the test. If the numbers go up a bit then it's the bottom end. If the numbers stay the same it's the upper half including the head gasket area.

Enano

Sep 3, 2012
Miami, FL
I put about a cap full of oil into the 6th cylinder and it went up to 30 from 10. I guess that falls into the bottom end

Is there anyway to hide the loads of smoke that come out of the breathers? I had the stock pcv pipe but it went through 2 of my afms due to so much oil getting sucked in under boost

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Bogwon;2038359 said:
According to TSRM 128psi is the minimum, how true is that? Enano has some 120ish readings, would this be considered "OK" just due to the car's age?

Not sure if serious. Besides, it's his other cylinders that stand out. It's not a 3 banger you know.

The engine is toast. Since he likely spent a lot of time wailing on it I'm not surprised...

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
Enano;2038347 said:
Whats up guys.. finally got around to doing a compression test on my car since it recently started smoking like a freight train out of the breathers. (no smoke from exhaust) Only time it smokes from the exhaust is intermittent when I do a hard pull. Sometimes a large puff of smoke will come out sometimes not.

All spark plugs had whitish electrodes except cylinder 5 and 6 which were a bit darker.

According to previous owner head was redone and 2.0mm MHG was put on. I find this believable since my 57 trim has spiked to 23 psi by accident and nothing happens. Absolutely no loss of coolant in around 5 months.

Cyl 1: 120
Cyl 2: 120
Cyl 3: 90
Cyl 4: 122
Cyl 5: 50
Cyl 6: 10

So I'm just looking for everyones input because the car still runs pretty damn hard for having 1 cylinder at 10 and another at 50. It just burns a shit load of oil. Like 1 qt every 4 days LOL 2 days if I get on it alot.

Nothing happened = blown motor... LOLZ

Bogwon

Dec 1, 2012
Bremerton, WA
jetjock;2038373 said:
Not sure if serious. Besides, it's his other cylinders that stand out. It's not a 3 banger you know.

The engine is toast. Since he likely spent a lot of time wailing on it I'm not surprised...

My question was not worded clearly, what I should have asked is: hypothetically, if you had 120 psi across all six cylinders would this condition cause a performance issue?

Now that I re-read, it's a dumb question. Out of spec is out of spec, no real two ways about it please disregard.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
p2038518_1.jpg

Enano

Sep 3, 2012
Miami, FL
Actually all the smoke started after i raced a transam while i was only on 16 psi. No lean condition under boost or anything. After that night it started pulling in oil through the pcv and killed 2 of my afms. No im not trying to hide the smoke so i can sell it to someone im trying to hide the smoke because its annoying coming to a stop all the time and it looks like my car is about to blow up.

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
Enano;2038533 said:
Actually all the smoke started after i raced a transam while i was only on 16 psi. No lean condition under boost or anything. After that night it started pulling in oil through the pcv and killed 2 of my afms. No im not trying to hide the smoke so i can sell it to someone im trying to hide the smoke because its annoying coming to a stop all the time and it looks like my car is about to blow up.

motor is blown...
how do you fix the smoke? pull motor and rebuild...

end thread...seriously... you broke your motor boosting too high...accept it