Need help installing Bee*R rev limiter! *solved*

scotty

Jun 30, 2009
Norway
scottnicholas.net
First of all, YES, I've read this thread: http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...ev-limiter-Installation-Guide-(JZA70-specific)

I found a pre 87 ECU pinout diagram. Connected the green to IGF and yellow to NE, as it said in the guide. +12V went to +B pinout and groud to chasis. I haven't connected white wire(REV-2)

So I went started engine, and tried the Bee*R. Put the REV-1 to 2 and Gain to 6. Nothing happened, nothing but stock rev limit. Tried changing REV-1 to a few different RPMs, nothing happened. Then tried to change Gain, then on some settings it had a rev limit on about 2000rpm. Some Gain settings did this while others just had stock rev limit, Bee*R had no effect.

By "setting" I mean just turning the button, changing it between 0-9 A-F. See guide for more understanding.

What can be wrong?

I have however noticed later on that in 1st picture in the guide(link above), it's showing green to NE and yellow to IGF, but in the write-up it is the opposite, which I've connected. Can this be the reason? Does it matter what color connects to what pin?

This is how I connected:

BeeR.jpg

Last edited:

scotty

Jun 30, 2009
Norway
scottnicholas.net
I changed the yellow and green cable. It is like this now:

t02hs5um3.jpg

The Bee*R builds boost yes. The white button is for two-step launch control

This is Bee*R’s popular two-stage ignition cutting rev-limiter. It is used to prevent damage arising from over-revving your engine. Part of the reason for its popularity is the large flames and loud bangs it produces from the exhaust when active!

The way in which it works differs from the factory rev limiter in that it is an ignition cut, as opposed to a fuel cut. The reason for this is because if an engine (particularly turbocharged) regularly hits a fuel-cut rev limit (such as in high performance driving, or particularly drifting) engine damage can arise due to the lean condition produced when the original ECU shuts off the fuel pump. The BEE*R rev-limiter allows fuel to pass into the engine still, limiting engine speed by disabling the ignition signal. The Bee*R rev limiter is fully adjustable in 500rpm increments, for safety reasons allowing only a lower rev-limit to be configured than standard. If you have spent a lot of money tuning your engine, or are running at high RPM’s for extended periods of time, it could be recommended to run a lower rev-limit to prolong engine life. Both Formula 1 and JGTC cars use ignition cutting rev limiters, so it is a fully race proven concept.

The Bee*R can also be used as a “two stage rev limiter”, as an aid for launching your car. The Bee*R is configurable for two different rev-limits. A lower rev limit can be activated by a switch, the handbrake switch often being used. This configurable lower limit, can be set to the optimum RPM to launch your particular car from in 500rpm increments. When the handbrake is released, the usual rev limit comes into action, allowing quick launches, and full performance down the strip.

The Bee*R rev-limiter has another final neat feature. The gain control knob allows you to adjust the frequency of the ignition cut. This in turn changes the frequency and sound of the flames and bangs from your exhaust!

nosman4

Nov 10, 2007
Bend, Oregon
The two step launch control is pretty sweet. I have mine hooked up to a clutch switch. Depending on what rpm I set the limiter to, I can build as much as 7 psi of boost. Have fun.

89supracrazy

Oct 31, 2009
wise
I had the bee-r rev limiter and I sold it. You better have good gaskets on the exhaust and the egr back plate. If you put the yellow on the igt instead of igf it works better because the igf is the signal that the igniter sends back to the ecu. The igt sends signal to the igniter. That is the one you want to hook too. That is how I had mine. It created to many exhaust leaks for me. I hate dealing with exhaust leaks.

scotty

Jun 30, 2009
Norway
scottnicholas.net
89supracrazy; Yeah I know about the exhaust leaks. Got new exhaust and turbo gaskets, got EGR is blocked off.

I'll try to make a video of it in action, tend to agree with not being any decent videos. :)

89supracrazy

Oct 31, 2009
wise
scotty;1604795 said:
89supracrazy; Yeah I know about the exhaust leaks. Got new exhaust and turbo gaskets, got EGR is blocked off.

I read about the bee-r before I got it and it did build boost like it said. Then I read a true rev limiter cuts fuel and ignition. It just wasn't for me. I also read that it cuts the life of your motor down. Those blue flames that looks cool coming out the exhaust, comes back to haunt you later. Hope it works out good for you.

Mikael_7m

Built 7M
Apr 26, 2009
Australia
Hey guys I installed a bee*r rev limiter into my 89+ supra, works great BUT just wondering if it's normal for the engine check light to turn on while using the limiter?

89supracrazy

Oct 31, 2009
wise
Mikael_7m;1616122 said:
Hey guys I installed a bee*r rev limiter into my 89+ supra, works great BUT just wondering if it's normal for the engine check light to turn on while using the limiter?

Yes. Mine did the same thing. You are interrupting the signals and the ecu will detect them.