Need help in Seattle, WA

TooRandom

Jun 21, 2008
Seattle, WA
So i blew my head gasket recently. I really dont want to take it to a shop due to how much it'd cost for the labor. So I was wondering if one of you guys with experience would like to help me replace it. :1zhelp: I'm still in the process of picking up the parts.

So if someone could help me we could work out how much i'd pay you to help. Pm or just post in this thread if you or you know of anyone who'd be up for the job.:icon_bigg

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
Where in seattle are you?

I might be able to help out but have been extremely busy lately...

As far as parts go, Toyota or bust!! Contact Mark @ vancouver toyota, tell him you're a member of the forums and / or Yarden sent you, he's also known as ra24man here and @ supraforums etc... he takes care of all of us real well

Welcome to the forums btw, with the right tools and enough research, you should be able to tackle it!

TooRandom

Jun 21, 2008
Seattle, WA
im located in burien/ white center. well vancouver is kinda far haha. what kind of deals can he get me? theres a trd parts store in burien. ever been there? Thanks, ill probably shoot you a pm or something when i recieve all my parts. what would you suggest i buy? a lot of people told me to get new arp head bolt studs and gasket of course. but im not so sure if i need the full kit cause im on a budget.

savannahashlee

I AM A CHICK :)
Jan 15, 2008
PDX (Oregon)
Yeah! Mark will hook your ass up.. He's such a wonderful guy.. (cough... I know he searches/googles himself so he'll see this)... If I was in Seattle, and knew what the hell I was doing, I'd help you.. Good luck though!

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
TooRandom;1073084 said:
im located in burien/ white center. well vancouver is kinda far haha. what kind of deals can he get me? theres a trd parts store in burien. ever been there? Thanks, ill probably shoot you a pm or something when i recieve all my parts. what would you suggest i buy? a lot of people told me to get new arp head bolt studs and gasket of course. but im not so sure if i need the full kit cause im on a budget.

Thats a little far for me, I'm way up north, like shoreline area except along Lake Washington, so I'm not sure about physically helping, but I'd be more then happy to answer whatever questions you may have

As far as Vancouver being far, it doesn't matter, it takes 1 day for the parts to be shipped to you, and what you spend on shipping you'll save like 50x that on the parts

ARP Head studs would be a very good idea, but not necessary, I got new toyota headbolts for my N/A headgasket job, torqued to 74 ft/lbs iirc, some people say it's a bad idea to reuse your old bolts, some say it's ok, really it depends on if they've been overtorqued before... but I like to err on the safe side so I got new ones.

A full gasket kit would be a good idea:
http://cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/EPC/291410/Parts/04112.aspx

Make sure you order for the correct engine, GE or GTE.

avp23

Mar 18, 2008
Washington
TooRandom;1073084 said:
theres a trd parts store in burien.

WHAT THE HELL, why didnt i ever hear about this, I call bull shit. I'll have some free time this weekend! Is it a 7mgte turbo?

TooRandom

Jun 21, 2008
Seattle, WA
avp23;1073766 said:
WHAT THE HELL, why didnt i ever hear about this, I call bull shit. I'll have some free time this weekend! Is it a 7mgte turbo?

it is a 7mgte but i wont have my parts in on time. ill probably start working on it next weekend starting friday if i can get all the parts that i need. i guess im going o reuse my stock bolts and see what i can get after i do some research. where are you located? maybe ill pm you when i get my parts in to see if you can come in and help. **and jaguar_5 ill be paying hose who help haha we can work out how much and what not. i have the write up and hanes manual and have done some research but im not confident i can do it myself. also most of my friends are honda and nissan heads ><"

haha the trd parts store is on first ave after you exit off of 518 to burien. you take a left and youll see the trd parts store next to the toyota dealership like 2 blocks down after you take that left. i really dont like their customer service because the guys seem like they dont know anything about toyotas or cars in general haha.

TooRandom

Jun 21, 2008
Seattle, WA
other people on the forums said that it'd be ok to reuse my stock bolts because i never retorqued them ever. but i should be starting the the week after next week. i found a write up but im kind of afraid. i really dont want to get my blocked done. seriously have no money.

Highnitro

Boostin' 4 life
Jun 18, 2007
Vancouver, WA
id say if u have the money, or the time to save up for it. get the arps (80ft-lbs), and a metal gasket, that combo should last through almost anything u can throw at it. dont forget to get ur head resurfaced.

TooRandom

Jun 21, 2008
Seattle, WA
just a little update

ok so today i started working on my car. didn't get that far cause i was just trying to figure out what to remove first and how to remove parts in big chunks. only worked on it for about 3 hours due to cleaning the garage but so far i got the radiator flushed and removed, intake, and almost got the manifold removed. I had this write up that this guy made but i figured that the only way i'd really learn was to try to figure it out myself. I'm just going to refer to it when i need to.

question: so 74 ft lbs of torque would be good on a factory head gasket? on another thread i read that i had to raise it to like 80 or something to raise the boost on the stock motor. btw, i have a k&n intake as far as upgrades.

also how long do you think it'd take to complete the change without any delays?

mattsplat72

is sofa king
Jan 17, 2006
Sedro Woolley, Washington, United States
If you have everything shouldn't take more then a few hours . But realistically more like the better half of a weekend . After machine shop and parts getting shipped to me . It took two 5 hours days of me doing it by myself with no exp in auto repair . JUst lable EVERYTING . Throw away nothing till a fedw weeks later and get a Shitload of old Jars and Butter tubs to keep everyting together you will do fine