Need help finding good machine shop in NC.

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
you don't even have the motor yet
you've posted 3 threads asking 3 different things in the past 2 days when you don't have motor
if I were you I would get the motor first and check things you may or may not need a rebuild we don't yet
also if you want good answers thing of things you wanna ask and ask in one thread instead of multiple threads in the same day when we can't really help you if you don even have the motor in front of you
once you have a motor we'd be glad to help you

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
Bryan, there is nothing wrong with the guy asking questions before he gets the motor. A lot of people do it. It's called planning ahead. If he knows of a good shop, then when he gets his motor, he already knows where to take it. Instead of hoping someone will come in and answer a week or two after he asks it. Better to have a plan then sit and wait. Also, try and use the period key a few times in your paragraphs. Just hitting enter doesn't complete a sentence.
OP- He has a point about 3 different threads....would have been easier to answer your questions if you just bulk them into one thread.

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
I'm just saying and I'm on mobile the typing on here is super laggy. he may not even need to take it to a machine shop when I had my head rebuilt it didn't need any resurfacing or anything I just had it rebuilt to be on the safe side
as far as finding a good shop just google machine shops in your area and read reviews
if you can it's good to find one that has had experience with your motor which they may not even remember.

Tysan

May 5, 2013
Lexington, NC
My bad about the multiple threads. But about me asking questions before I have motor, it was hard saving the money for this project so yeah I would like to get as much knowledge I can before jumping in and mess something or something that I wont be able to handle. I don't mess around with money because its something I don't make much of.

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
I feel you on that one
well how much of a budget are you on? if you give us a budget we can help you to build a solid motor to reach your goals without spending a whole bunch to get it. I like to do it right the first time I hate going back to fix something that wasnt done right
sorry about my first reply

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
try salter racing engines...they build high performance engines and do rebuild for domestic and imports they look like they would be good not sure about pricing.

Tysan

May 5, 2013
Lexington, NC
What I have saved right now is 3500. Im putting away around $200 every week, so money is gonna continue to grow until I start school in the fall. So budget will be around $4500 to 5k if Im lucky. Im not looking to build for monster hp. Just looking for a reliable $350-400 rwhp daily driver. I tend to not abuse my cars, maybe a little highway pass just for kicks. I don't really have the money to abuse my rides like that. But I do like the piece of mind. I live in Lexington, NC

Tysan

May 5, 2013
Lexington, NC
Yes.... I know Im on a really tight budget. Im willing to be patient on the modification stage. In week or 2 I should have another $1k on top of that if things work out for me. Id rather make sure the internals are in good running order first and foremost. I know a shop that's willing to resurface the head for $30 if I disassembly it myself but Im not a mechanic, so Im not comfortable doing it myself. From what Ive heard theyre a good machine shop but Im not sure if Id what them to work on the motor because Im pretty sure they've never worked on these motors before. I have an uncle that's a certified mechanic but Im not sure he ever worked on an a 7m, so not sur if Im ready to him take apart the heads.

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
well a lot of the people on here aren't mechanics either we use the tsrm
if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself is recomend atleast having someone help you so you know how the motor is put together where everything is and if something goes wrong youll most likely know what it is since you worked on it

Tysan

May 5, 2013
Lexington, NC
Alright cool deal. Lucky I have an uncle whose a mechanic. Ill definitely give him a call since he did tell me he'll help with the swap.

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
yep one of the best things you can know about our motors is how they go together and everything works together becuase a lot of mechanics don't know our motors