Need help fast!

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
Hi guys, got an issue with my car lately.

Car: 89 NA-T swapped auto. 89 turbo and ecu, intake, raptor racing ddp, test pipe, Apexi N1 catback. I peaked 10lbs on my greddy gauge.

Ok. 3 weeks ago: i was boosting then the car bogs(7-8lbs). And when it does i see that the temperature gauge would move up and when it stops bogging the gauge goes back to normal. Then i slow down on the side of the road and the car was trying to idle but couldn't hold and shut off. Wouldn't start for about 5 minutes, crank and nothing. I checked under the hood to see if anything is disconnected or a possible of a intercooler pipe blew off but nothing and everything seems normal. Went back inside and she started right up....weird. Got home, check for spark, have it. Check for fuel, i don't know if it is just me but i had the key on the ON position and slowly loosen the FPR bolt to see if i even have pressure or fuel at all in the rail. Nothing. And it wouldn't start when i was at home for about an hour. Then randomly started. Code 34

Since then the car would do the same thing for a few times each time i drive it, and yes it does happen under boost too with once in a while shut off on me but started right away. And between the bogs i can still full boost until fuel cut and everything seems fine for a while. Well, yesterday it happened again on the highway, i was driving normal, not boosting. I pulled over on the side, it fight to idle and shut off....except this time it wouldn't start again at all. Had it towed home. Haven't touched it since.

Here is what i plan to do tomorrow:
1. Check to see if my fuel pump is still alive...
2. Check to see if there is any spark
3. Check codes again

My 1st question is: When key is on On position there suppose to be fuel in the rail and also pressure in the system? What is the best way to check that. This is my DD too so it would be really nice if i can get it running tomorrow. Makes me want to buy an aftermarket FPR w fuel pressure gauge...would be so helpful right now.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
The fuel pump is only running when the car is(only car I know that does that). Jump Fp and B+ in the diagnostic box to check your fuel pump with a gauge. I would check your wiring harness if it's a sparatic problem(have someone start it while you jigle the CPS wires). As for code 34 is that abnormal boost I would do a boost leak test. As for the temp gauge:( can't help.