Need help deciding which fuel pump..

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
So I am trying to get my car back on the road after 3 years. (for those that don't know me, "hi", for everyone else, "I haven't given up!"). Long story short, the engine has been rebuilt, block overhauled completely, new top and bottom. Great potential for future HP. I have stock ECU, stock AFM, stock fuel injectors. I still have my automatic tranny (no boos and hisses!). I have a new Driftmotion intercooler, and 3" exhaust. I went with the Driftmotion's .57 trim turbo. Now, the gas tank is getting dropped and cleaned. I really want to change out the fuel pump. However, I don't want to make a bunch of other upgrades to the injectors/ECU/AFM until much later. I just want the car to run. What could I use for the fuel pump right now, that works with my mostly stock setup, but won't have to be replaced if/when I want move the HP up? Perhaps just stick with stock for right now and plan to replace that pump in the future?

Thanks!

Supraguy7M

7m forever!
Jan 9, 2013
bennington vermont
I used the walbro 255 when my stock pump went. With everything still factory, I had no issues with it at all. Some people say they are noisy but I haven't noticed it.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
As xzeror says, oem MkIV Denso is a great choice, but so is the Walbro, if you want cheaper.
I've run one for years, without a single hiccup. And like Supraguy7M says (man- there's too many 'supraguys' around here), they're pretty quiet. I can never hear mine running.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
The walbro 255 should be fine as a stock replacement. I've heard people say that they should be run full time 12V, and that the J tube restriction should therefore be removed, but I have not read the technical specs thoroughly enough to know if it really might have problems with the FP resistor in play.

The Denso Mk4 TT pump will definitely work fine on the stock system. It will run more quietly, and be able to keep up to whatever you might need. It's also reportedly less prone top having a fake swapped in it's place by a supplier. Downside is that it's more expensive. I believe that it is the best option for a stock Supra that may have a yet-to-be-determined number of performance modifications added to it. This is my own choice.

Edit:
supraguy@aol;1943773 said:
(man- there's too many 'supraguys' around here)
LOL. I use "SupraGuy" as a nick everywhere EXCEPT in the Supra community.

Supraguy7M

7m forever!
Jan 9, 2013
bennington vermont
Dan_Gyoba;1943775 said:
The walbro 255 should be fine as a stock replacement. I've heard people say that they should be run full time 12V, and that the J tube restriction should therefore be removed, but I have not read the technical specs thoroughly enough to know if it really might have problems with the FP resistor in play.

I have had no issues with the factory setup running the walbro.

There are definitely a lot of supraguys around here lol its my name everywhere, even at car meets around here. Mind you, I'm the only one I know of with one around here lol

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Dan_Gyoba;1943775 said:

I have yet to do the 12v mod, but i did drill out the j-tube. I would suggest as a minimum, consider getting an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. I don't wanna get flamed for this, but years ago, i got a cheapo ebay unit, and it still works great to this day, and keeps a consistent pressure. I even took it apart not long ago, just to check the innards, and it all looks new.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I've had great success with the Walbro 400 series of pumps, quiet and move a LOT of fuel!
(just happen to have one for sale cheap in classifieds if you're interested)

One thing to keep in mind with the Denso Pumps is they have a built in 60psi relief that will limit volume delivered if you start cranking some boost in.

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
Supraguy7M;1943792 said:
^ I tried looking up the 12v mod but I can't find it anywhere on here.. :/

I found it last night at:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/co...all-with-12VRelay-all-in-one-thread-with-Pics

IJ.;1943794 said:
I've had great success with the Walbro 400 series of pumps, quiet and move a LOT of fuel!
(just happen to have one for sale cheap in classifieds if you're interested)

One thing to keep in mind with the Denso Pumps is they have a built in 60psi relief that will limit volume delivered if you start cranking some boost in.

Thanks IJ :) I actually have some $$ now to spend on it, so I will pickup a new Denso.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
GrimJack;1943799 said:
The new(ish) Aeromotive Stealth pump is a great unit as well, rated at 340 over the walbro 255 IIRC, cheap, quieter than the walbro, and aeromotive reliability.

That's what i heard. Reading a thread on SF, one of the Aeromotive engineers pointed out that, because the Stealth draws more amps, the oem wiring built into the pump hangar needs to be upgraded to reduce resistance.
PS- the pump i just bought to replce my walbro is a Stealth.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
The Denso pump from the 2JZGTE uses a computer to slow down the speed instead of a resistor. The two speed resistor circuit requires modification to keep it "stock".

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
Nick M;1944087 said:
The Denso pump from the 2JZGTE uses a computer to slow down the speed instead of a resistor. The two speed resistor circuit requires modification to keep it "stock".

Nick-
Can you clarify? Or is there a link to this mod?

bandit1730

May 19, 2012
Miami FL 33181
I am on the same boat as ZoomZoomZoom in regards to engine setup and been following the pump upgrade thread, but the last post (2 resistors) just threw me off as well.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
3p141592654 said:
That's right. The basic issue is that the MK4 pump draws twice the current. Using the stock setup the low speed would be about 6V, which would not be reliable.

3p141592654 said:
The MK3 low speed circuit uses a 0.7ohm resistor to drop the pump voltage from 14V to 10V (at least that is what my numbers are). That corresponds to a low speed pump current of 5.7A.

The MK4 pump (based on published data from John Cribb) can be expected to draw about 10.4A at 10V with a 40psi head, about double the MK3 pump current.

Therefore, my simple plan to retain the dual speed design is to put two MK3 resistors in parallel to give a 0.35 ohm resistor. That should result in a pump voltage of about 10.25V and a pump current of 10.7 A, which will be fine.

I didn't feel the need to check his math.