Need help de-pinning a patch harness

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
I recently purchased a harness extension here for cheap that had a couple cut wires. It is for a pre 89 harness/ECM. Some of the wires were cut close to this connector, so I'm thinking if its possible I'll de-pin it and replace the wires/pins. To clarify, here is a picture:
DSCN1825.jpg
I'm talking about the large connector on the left side that the three connectors for the harness plug into. I tried searching, but I could only find information on the smaller harness plugs. What I need to know is can the connector be de-pinned, and if so, what do I need in order to do this?

EDIT: Upon looking at it further they appaer to be molded into the connector with the wires soldered on. Looks like its time for some solder work. Also, what do I use for de-pinning the connectors on the ECM side of the patch harness? I read (In the sticky I think) that precision screwdrivers work, but I'm sure there is a correct tool for this. If anyone knows where I could buy or order one from, I would appreciate it.
-AM3

Last edited:

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
Given the time, money and effort I would put into rebuilding this patch harness, I decided to see if anyone makes a plug and play harness for a reasonable price. I contacted Boomslang about a custom harness and found it would only be $139 to have one made. :D I should have the car running within a month.
-AM3