need help could my walbro be going dead?

86_sports_1jz

slow 700hp build...
Aug 27, 2006
OK
hey guys i need some help, there is something really wrong with my car. it runs super rich at idle and partial throttle, around 9:1 a/r but once i hit wot it gets super lean, 14+ a/r... it also chokes and bogs like crazy under 2000 rpms or 35 mph, it feels like its not going to be able to move anywhere because it chokes and bogs at 1500 rpms but once i get above about 2500 rpms it runs a little smoother but still bogs and chokes alittle. overall it runs really rough no matter at idle or when i'm driving and it sucks gas down like no other, i drive around town for like 10 minutes and i can see my gas gauage sink. i think it could be my 550s gone bad or maybe my walbro fuel pump, i thought it was my 1j ecu but i put in a patch/jumper harness with a 2jz ecu and an emanage ultimate and it still runs the same as when the 1j ecu is in. i've switched the ecus around numerous times and i'm stomped so i was hoping you guys could help me out. my mods are pt70 single, 255 walbro, 550cc usdm injectors with 7m resistor pack, and a 2jz ecu with an emanage ultimate. let me know what you guys think and if you have any questions just ask.

thanks, toua

I forgot to add that it happened before but it went back to normal after i turned off the car for like 5 minutes then turned it back on

EDIT: no codes are thrown either, it idles around 5-600 rpms, and misfires. the walbro has a 12 volt mod and the car ran fine with the 550s before this problem

Last edited:

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
Did you check the usual things like the coils and plugs, connections, the igniter?

also wondering if you're sure your Walbro is genuine.

Last edited:

86_sports_1jz

slow 700hp build...
Aug 27, 2006
OK
Guyana00;1405785 said:
Did you check the usual things like the coils and plugs, connections, the igniter?

also wondering if you're sure your Walbro is genuine.

i'm pretty sure my walbro is genuine, how can i tell for sure? i haven't checked the coils or igniter yet but i will along with the timing just incase it jumped... what should i look for when checking the igniter? i know for the coils i should be looking for cracks and what else?

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
Unplug the line/plug from the MAP to see if the sensor or tubing is bad.
To know if it's genuines, well, if you check the sticky on the fraudulent ones you'd see the problem.

They can come well disguised. If you bought it from a reputable vendor it should be ok, but I recomment asking them if it is specifically a walbro or "walbro style"

The problem again with an irreputable vendor is the have no problems with lying and saying it is, or not knowing and saying sure.

I re-read your post it doesn't seem bad coils or bad igniter or plugs would lean you out though, sorry about that. Could also be a dirty filter too.

Oh, check the TPS, and as you said, could also be timing.

86_sports_1jz

slow 700hp build...
Aug 27, 2006
OK
Guyana00;1408706 said:
Unplug the line/plug from the MAP to see if the sensor or tubing is bad.
To know if it's genuines, well, if you check the sticky on the fraudulent ones you'd see the problem.

They can come well disguised. If you bought it from a reputable vendor it should be ok, but I recomment asking them if it is specifically a walbro or "walbro style"

The problem again with an irreputable vendor is the have no problems with lying and saying it is, or not knowing and saying sure.

I re-read your post it doesn't seem bad coils or bad igniter or plugs would lean you out though, sorry about that. Could also be a dirty filter too.

Oh, check the TPS, and as you said, could also be timing.

ok thanks again! i haven't been able to look at my car yet its been raining 3 days non stop! once i get the chance to i will post up

86_sports_1jz

slow 700hp build...
Aug 27, 2006
OK
ok i checked all that and everything seemed to be ok, then i rechecked my codes and got code 31 which is an air flow meter code on the usdms but what is it for a jdm motor? i was thinking map sensor because when i unplugged my map sensor there was no affect on the way my car was running. LMK what you guys think.

thanks, toua

86_sports_1jz

slow 700hp build...
Aug 27, 2006
OK
oh btw anyone know how to wire a gm 3 bar map sensor in? i'm gonna try that because its cheaper than a oem one

chuckmuska2005

Dec 3, 2007
canton
I'm havin the same problem, car ran perfectly fine then it took a massive dump and ran in limp mode, I'm testing injectors and starting to suspect the ecu is bad. So check those out, maybe you can find the issue there.

86_sports_1jz

slow 700hp build...
Aug 27, 2006
OK
well, i've replaced my 1j ecu with a jdm 2jz aristo ecu and it still runs the same but i haven't really had time to work on it so when i do have time i'll try a couple of new things

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
chuckmuska2005;1436882 said:
I don't quite understand how the bad pump could cause the engine to run so rich

I think OP said it was running lean....? Is the 9 a default value when it runs lean too? When I busted a fuel hose I lost all pressure, it would buck and not idle smooth or anything. My AEM guage displayed the same value of "---" for too lean or too rich than the sensor senses.

86_sports_1jz

slow 700hp build...
Aug 27, 2006
OK
i don't know if its my pump... my a/r are in the 9s meaning its too rich at idle... i turned my fuel pressure as low as it could go, about 20 psi and its still rich... when i turn off my pump the car will still runs no matter how long i let it idel, its like the motor is still getting fuel even though my pump is shut off and my fpr reads zero... but it does idel better when the fuel pump is shut off

chuckmuska2005

Dec 3, 2007
canton
86_sports_1jz;1437462 said:
i don't know if its my pump... my a/r are in the 9s meaning its too rich at idle... i turned my fuel pressure as low as it could go, about 20 psi and its still rich... when i turn off my pump the car will still runs no matter how long i let it idel, its like the motor is still getting fuel even though my pump is shut off and my fpr reads zero... but it does idel better when the fuel pump is shut off

That is the same exact problem I have, I can turn off my walbro and the car runs rich for a few minutes till it leans out. I too have my fpr set down to 20psi. I was driving home and the car acted like the plugs just fowled out and ran like crap. Im running the neo and wideband with the mkiv 550's just like you and starting to consider taking out the injectors and going back to the stockers and even switching my ecu but it looks like the injectors wouldn't change anything because the car started up and ran stoich when i got the build finished and got it all tuned. The ecu looks to really be the culprit but if you have replaced yours and that hasn't helped I'm stumped.

86_sports_1jz

slow 700hp build...
Aug 27, 2006
OK
chuckmuska2005;1437789 said:
That is the same exact problem I have, I can turn off my walbro and the car runs rich for a few minutes till it leans out. I too have my fpr set down to 20psi. I was driving home and the car acted like the plugs just fowled out and ran like crap. Im running the neo and wideband with the mkiv 550's just like you and starting to consider taking out the injectors and going back to the stockers and even switching my ecu but it looks like the injectors wouldn't change anything because the car started up and ran stoich when i got the build finished and got it all tuned. The ecu looks to really be the culprit but if you have replaced yours and that hasn't helped I'm stumped.

well, mine when you kill the fuel pump it still runs rich no matter how long i let it run for. it never goes lean and dies... i am soo stumped, i might ask bigzavas if he is still willing to send me his ecu just so i can check to see if my replacement ecu i got is also bad...

86_sports_1jz

slow 700hp build...
Aug 27, 2006
OK
well everything i've tried hasn't worked, i've been reading about the driftmotion dampener bypass hose and i'm going to switch that hose back to the stock one... i don't see how the hose effects anything but if anyone has an explanation let me know

Vrank!!!

hahahahaha
Dec 17, 2009
TX
So if you nplug the map sensor and the car acts the same, wouldn't that indicate a problem? And I don't believe the gm joint will work, buddy tried it on a 1j and iirc it acted like your car, but not positive. I would try a known working map before anything else at this point.