need help, coolant inside?

89supraowner

Oct 12, 2009
Fort Myers
noticed coolant starting to run down the gas pedal and traced it up to a leak on the hose just entering the firewall? is this a heater line? where can i find a replace ment part? AND... is there a temporary fix in the mean time?

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
possible causes:
coolant leak where the hose in the engine bay joins the heater core hardline
leak at the hardline to core o-ring
leak at the core

Judging by the location of the leak, I'm leaning towards either of the first two. Unbolt the coolant hose in the engine bay and see if the copper tube is deformed or cracked. A loose hose might be causing this as well. If this solves the leak, consider yourself lucky.

For the second two options, removal of the dash is in order. Once you have the dash out, pressure test the heater core with the pipes on (to ~15 psi ONLY) to check for leaks.

Temporary fix would be to circumvent the heater core entirely, running a hose directly from the control valve to the tube previously connected to the driver-side of the heater core.

89supraowner

Oct 12, 2009
Fort Myers
thanks so much for the info, however given that im kind of in a rush im going to have to bypass the heating system entirely and run a hose behind the engine to do so and then do it correctly another day. the hose coming through the drivers side firewall IS deformed and i thought that that was the problem of me going through so much coolant. i thought i had a bhg. but the coolant is fine, the oil is fine. i guess this is where all my coolant is going. friday im probably going to have to remove the dash entirely and do this.