Need help choosing a school

88YotaTurbo

Feb 26, 2006
Wolcott, Ct.
I am starting to look for a trade school that has an Automotive Program focused Mainly on High Performance applications. Not just the average auto tech course with an elective for fun but a definite direction towards the after market street or race careers out there today. I have spent many hours online trying to find the best schools across the nation, but have not found any website that rates this type of school. So I've decided to ask you guys (the community) for your help and opinions on schools you may have attended or know someone who did. If you went to a school which one did you go to and where are you now after completing or not completing the program? What wore you likes and dislikes? Please help me out, I am 23 yrs old and am trying to get some meaning in my life. Thank you.

socc924

Mar 31, 2005
CT and Philly
If your 23, im guessing you've been working for sometime now. What do you do. Ever work at a repair shop? I have a buddy who graduated from Uconn with (I believe) mechanical engineering. All he does is brag about how much more it will help him with his career. Also, keep in mind that there is pretty high demand for experienced, and knowledgable mechanics. You can make a damn good living working at a run-a-the mill repair shop. But you probabably consider after-market and performance as more fun.

buckshotglass

I love all your sounds.
I would find the best local shop that's like wherever you would want to work, go there, and get the highest position you can. Even if it's the lowest. Work in the field, and learn as you go. While you are there, find out how the people above you got where they are.
You will decide if you want to work in that environment, and learn how to get there.

socc924

Mar 31, 2005
CT and Philly
excatly. get in good with the owner and they will often put you thru schooling and build off of you. I have seen an owner take out a loan just to be sure to pay a mechanic what he thought he is worth during a slow time.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
Let me know when you find a school that focuses on high performace/ state of the art technology for engines. cause i will be there next to you learning!

i've tried searching, but its hard... most shops want you to work full time for them, so if your going to school + full time = PITA.

i've been considering just getting an AA/AS in Automotive Technology, and then try to get a job, because it will put me ahead of most of the people who are trying to get a job with no degree.

88YotaTurbo

Feb 26, 2006
Wolcott, Ct.
I looked into Wyotech and had a meeting with a local representative. They have a High performance elective that is 6 months long on top of your normal Automotive Technology classes. I have heard of Wyotech and I am sure you guys have too but how is there reputation. I want to make sure after graduating from school that I will not have a hard time finding good work. Other schools I was interested in or Lincoln Tech, UTI, and New England Tech.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
I've heard lincoln Tech is a joke.

I was looking in to it before radiology...

I'm still wanting to go back one day when I get my own little shop up and running, this is just my subscription to the thread.

BatM70bile

May 14, 2008
IA
I had a friend go to Wyotech. From what he's told me it's a pretty good school but in his experience there was very little forced induction and it was mostly N/A applications -- I'm not sure if anyone else has other experiences or knows if that's more true than not. If nothing else he's a GM certified tranny tech now because one course basically gives it to you (don't remember which), but he went in with a lot of knowledge.

Good luck with your decision.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
AS from trade school > entry level job at performance shop > learn OTJ

OR

wyotech > internship with a racing team > learn OTJ

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
and remember, that most of those 'private' college courses WONT transfer if you ever want a 4year degree... i dont know if all colleges are like this, but the few i looked at, wouldnt accept wyotech or UTI courses and transfer credits... just make sure you check on that.

and i see an internship with a race team being better than ANY education you can get. you might not make as much, but if you know your shit, you'll get paid. but an education will always take you further in life.