Need differential info!

89supraowner

Oct 12, 2009
Fort Myers
Im trying to look for the differential rebuild kit for my 89 supra turbo, can anybody point me in the right direction? ive looked every where from toyota dealerships to advance auto parts to ebay and cant find anything. i need this kit asap! any help would be much appreciated. thanks!

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I've heard the name "Weir" tossed around here lately too, might be worth looking into that. Not sure, but Marlin Crawler might also have what you're looking for.

gwumpkus

Nov 27, 2009
Singapore, Singapore, Singapore
i was just going to post a question wrt this! and lo and behold! answered before i asked! thanx a lot 89supraowner!

now, i'm just wondering between the two:

the suprastore kit seems to be a more complete kit with seals and all, but the shim plates, are these STOCK? The Weir kit is shims only, but touted as a stronger replacement for the STOCK plates.

seems like conservative me would then buy BOTH kits, and toss the stock shims, in favour of the Weir upgrades?

anyone has used these before, care to comment?

thanx..:)

cheers!

-michael

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I talked to the guys at Weir when I ordered my kit. He told me that the clutches rarely get worn out in the LSD. The shims will tighten everything back up and make it as good as new.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Looks like the axle seals are 4$ each and the pinnion seal is about 7$ from toyota. Pretty cheap insurance if you ask me.

89supraowner

Oct 12, 2009
Fort Myers
Wow thanks for all the replies guys! I didn't think it would be that much for a rebuild kit but seeing as how it is a supra...... lol and yes it does indeed look as if the suprastore kit they have has mostly everything I need. Come to find out my pinion gear bearing is shot and needed replacing quickly. I guess it can sit on jack stands for a few more weeks until I can save up the money to get the kit. I think it will be well worth it in the end. haha

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I don't know if their customer service has gotten any better, but from past experiences, you'd better allow at least two weeks for shipment.

89supraowner

Oct 12, 2009
Fort Myers
Well here's my take on it, if you pull it out and buy the rebuild kit for it, everything should go smoothly and you're replacing almost everything in the diff itself instead of just replacing one bearing or so, to find out after you put it back in and drive around for awhile that something else gets worn out and needed to be replaced. Now you have to take it all apart again just to replace yet another thing. And buying a used differential from ebay or craigslist or wherever you can find one, you spend the money to buy it and have it sent to you, you put it in only to find out its maybe worse off than you were. So yes I do believe it is well worth buying the rebuild kit over buying another differential that you don't know its history or what it has been through. Buying the rebuild kit is basically like having a new diff, and you feel accomplished that you did it yourself and there is no more whining or sounding like an airplane going down the road anymore. lol And you get to paint it whichever color you want while you have it out. lol