Need a reliable, cheap dd (AKA I hate VW)

flight doc89

Registered Murse
Apr 21, 2006
Bessemer, Alabama, United States
So, I had some friends that drove VWs, loved them, loved the gas mileage, seemed pretty good. So, I bought my wife a 2003 Beetle TDI with 75k miles. In the 13k miles and less than one year that I have owned it, I have had to replace the cylinder head (because the timing belt went out at 82k miles; manual says to check the belt every 10k miles and replace at 100k. I made the mistake of assuming that the dealership had actually inspected the car, so I was gonna have it checked out at 85k miles). Right after the cylinder head, I had to replace the PS pump. Now, the alternator pulley just sheared off. The A/C went out 3 months and 3k miles after I bought it (I havent fixed that yet, and I dont really want to).
So, I am really wanting to be rid of this car and never buy a Volkswagen again.
I need some recommendations on cheap cars that are reliable, and safe enough and easy enough for my wife. She uses the car for her dog business, so a hatchback or big back seat are ideal. I was thinking about something like an early model Toyota Rav4, but I don't know anybody with one. Anything come to mind to yall? Oh, and this car will be used for a good bit of travel (like 1000+ mile round trips a few times a year plus a lot of local driving), so fuel mileage is a big factor, but reliability is gonna be the key point (as i explained above, I have already been down that road; 50mpg only goes so far

Last edited:

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Toyota Corolla, Toyota Camry, Toyota Rav 4, Toyota Highlander, Toyota 4 Runner.

Get something in this century as well. You know, atleast 2000 and above. I can vouch for a 97 and up four cylinder Camry since those are super easy to work on but try and get something above 2000.

I would say the Corolla might be small for you, so a newer Camry might be better. If you don't need something as big as a 4 Runner, the Rav 4 is good.

Noticed I like Toyota. The reason is, maintainece is just so darn cheap. All the motors are timing belt, not chain. It's easy to change. I you snap a belt, the motors are not interference, so there is no issue. Gas mileage on any Toyota is great. Nissan and Honda have interference motors, which I don't like. If you want a Nissan, the Pathfinder and Xterra are good and for Honda, the Pilot is another good one. Honda does get the best gas mileage out of all three auto makers.

You don't have to get a Toyota but they are easy to maintain and you can get discount parts from Curt at Elmhurst on Supraforums, it wouldn't be a good ideal to get any other make unless you get a super great deal. Rock Auto will also help with maintanence and they are a vendor on here.

Last edited:

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
mecevans;1800275 said:
Subaru forester, Camry wagon/all-trac, Honda CRV.
If I were in the market for something with a lot of space, the Camry Wagon was the first thing to come to my mind. If I'm not mistaken, they were 4AGE powered, those things go foreeeeeeeever. Unfortunately, finding one might be tricky, but fortunately, that's where Subaru comes in handy. Pretty much any EJ equipped Legacy Wagon/Forester are going to be a good choice for all around DD with respectable durability and mileage, just do your maintenance...

Might also be worth recommending a Mazda Protege wagon, or even a Mazda3 hatchback. The 3 isn't the easiest car I've had to work on, but in 85k of my girlfriend driving it, fortunately I haven't had to work on it much yet, and it's a quite entertaining car to drive, I recommend the manual if your situation allows.

Lastly, Volvo wagons. V70... boxy, boring, but about as good as you can ask for when it comes to versatile without encouraging the "crossover" disaster that the modern car has become...

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Nah, only the mk1 MR2s and GTS Corollas came with the 4A-GE engine. The camry has a 3S-C or 3S-FE engine back in those days, but still nice motors!

My personal reccomendation to anyone looking for a cheap and supremely reliable vehicle would be a 1993-1997 manual Corolla. They had the 4A-FE and 7A-FE engines and were ridiculously reliable. I've owned 4-5 and they all were above 150k without ay major issues (I did melt 2 timing belts, but no probs its non-interference, replace the timing belt idler/tensioner when you change the belt) They are not pretty by any means, but they get the job done for less tha most other cars IMO.

Hope this helps!

Edit: its a 7A, not 6A X(

Last edited:

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
toyotanos;1800579 said:
Nah, only the mk1 MR2s and GTS Corollas came with the 4A-GE engine. The camry has a 3S-C or 3S-FE engine back in those days, but still nice motors!

My personal reccomendation to anyone looking for a cheap and supremely reliable vehicle would be a 1993-1997 manual Corolla. They had the 4A-FE and 6A-FE engines and were ridiculously reliable. I've owned 4-5 and they all were above 150k without ay major issues (I did melt 2 timing belts, but no probs its non-interference, replace the timing belt idler/tensioner when you change the belt) They are not pretty by any means, but they get the job done for less tha most other cars IMO.

Hope this helps!

This is what I tell everyone and they act like its a horrible car. I don't get why you would want something expensive and hard to work on as a daily driver.

Steve....this is for you for those recommendations!

a689894e-f1a2-a5ab.jpg

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
te72;1800578 said:
Lastly, Volvo wagons. V70... boxy, boring, but about as good as you can ask for when it comes to versatile without encouraging the "crossover" disaster that the modern car has become...

The V70R's are pretty fast. My neighbor has an AWD 850R M/T with over 400hp. So Sleeper.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
toyotanos;1800579 said:

My personal reccomendation to anyone looking for a cheap and supremely reliable vehicle would be a 1993-1997 manual Corolla. They had the 4A-FE and 7A-FE engines and were ridiculously reliable. I've owned 4-5 and they all were above 150k without ay major issues (I did melt 2 timing belts, but no probs its non-interference, replace the timing belt idler/tensioner when you change the belt) They are not pretty by any means, but they get the job done for less tha most other cars IMO.
My mistake, thanks for the correction. The FE motors were generally focused on lower end torque and efficiency, which is what matters more in a DD anyway. The 3sFE and 5SFE were also used in certain Celicas. Not the best for space, but also good, durable cars.

mecevans;1800605 said:
The V70R's are pretty fast. My neighbor has an AWD 850R M/T with over 400hp. So Sleeper.
That's the one I would want to have, but after doing a little research, it seems finding one might be hard. Not a concern for me at the moment, but it's sitting in my mind just in case a scenario like the OP's pops into my life. :)

flight doc89

Registered Murse
Apr 21, 2006
Thanks for the input :) gonna get the bug running so that I can get it sold, then the hunt begins. If anything else comes to mind, I'm still open to suggestions :)

My wife asked about one of those ugly prius hybrids. Anybody here had any experience with them?

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
I've fixed and driven all 3 generations! Decent cars, for what they are. Don't expect to change the world or move mountains, but its a nice smooth drivetrain and very quiet (imo) Try test driving one and see what you think!

Not many problems, save a couple recalls and water pumps leaking. If you consider buying one, make 100%, absolutely sure it hasn't been in a wreck.

Additionally, if Hybrid is on her mind, try a Camry or Highlander hybrid. They just add a different spin to the feel and utility of the vehicle.

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Whenever people ask me to recommend reliable and inexpensive cars, I always seem to come back to mentioning Honda Accords, primarily the 90-02 cars (though avoid the 98-02 automatic models!!). Myself and several friends & family drive them, and they're completely reliable, cheap to run, and comfortable.

I also totally agree with Steve, Corollas are fantastic and never break, but avoid the 98-02s in there as well, nobody likes piston rings that are hungry for oil.

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
emiliorescigno;1801029 said:
Whenever people ask me to recommend reliable and inexpensive cars, I always seem to come back to mentioning Honda Accords, primarily the 90-02 cars (though avoid the 98-02 automatic models!!). Myself and several friends & family drive them, and they're completely reliable, cheap to run, and comfortable.

I also totally agree with Steve, Corollas are fantastic and never break, but avoid the 98-02s in there as well, nobody likes piston rings that are hungry for oil.

Glass engines :(

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
We have a customer with a 98 Corolla with 225,xxx. I just did an oil change for it today. One owner and they keep it up, nothing but tune ups and maintenance stuff like hoses and suspension parts as the roads here in NYC are not the best. Only big repair or job was the timing belt, water pump, cam seals and drive belts.

Doesn't smoke or anything like that and it's super quiet. I have never seen one smoke, then again, it does come down to the previous owners.

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Can't be a 98 Corolla then, those engines have a timing chain. The 97 Corollas have the 7A-FE engine which is much much more reliable (and has a Timing belt)

The early 1ZZ-FE engines were very touchy on maintainance, if you got lax they went south quickly. They got a little better later on, but a 1ZZ with no VVT-I = poo :(

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
I stand corrected! It probably was a 97 and I didn't remember correctly. One that note, a mechanic just bought a 96 4Runner and dude, that thing drives SUPER nice. Motor is quiet, transmission shifts perfect and NO RUST, I will post some pictures.

OP, stick with the older Toyotas, you will be very happy.

flight doc89

Registered Murse
Apr 21, 2006
There was a recommendation for a subaru forester. How are those mechanically? Pretty reliable? I've never had an AWD vehicle, never worked on a boxer motor, so i'm kinda leery about it. If I got one, it would be an early 2000's model. Do they age fairly well?