Need a little help.

cml61386

Jun 28, 2007
Buffalo, NY
I'm feeling pretty dumb asking this but I actually want to lower my boost right now my car spikes a little over 15 psi and I don't wanna run that high without a fuel pump and a bigger turbo. I have a mbc that I made, tried to turn the boost down didn't seem to have any luck. Figured I'd ask. The car has 3" turbo back exhaust, 550's, afpr, maft pro and in the processes of tuning. As to why I want to turn it down some. Been busy playing with my new toy that has a straight six also, so I want to get my car up and running with nicer weather. Thanks in advance.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
If you made it, I think your the only one who can answer that question. With the mods you listed I'm sure 15PSI is within reason. But A fuel pump prolly couldn't hurt.

cml61386

Jun 28, 2007
Buffalo, NY
The wastegate to my knowledge has never been touched. Well at least by me anyways. I was under the impression the stock CT isn't very efficient at that range. But what do I know haven't played with these cars as much as most. Guess I'll have to keep tweaking my boost controller and see if I can make it work.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
a boost controller cant lower the boost any lower then the wastegate. Example: waste gate spring is 6 psi, MBC can INCREASE boost above 6 psi, but not lower it. Only way to do that is to change the spring or put some slop in the waste gate actuator arm (poor response, not advised).

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Take a look at the wastegate bracket...see if there are any washers between the actuator bracket and turbo housing. If there are, remove them.

As suggested, your wastegate actuato might be getting a bit "tired".

cml61386

Jun 28, 2007
Buffalo, NY
Found out how to make it on a dsm forum. Alright I'll take a look at the wastegate see what I can find. Thanks for the help.

jtran8

Supramania Contributor
Mar 29, 2007
wichita kansas
beside all above advices , wastegate actuator malfuntion or the hose between compressor housing to wastegate leaks also can cause boost spike or creep .

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
I would first try bypassing that and then see if it still hits 15psi. Atleast then you can narrow it down to being the WG, actuator, or signal hose,...or the MBC.

cml61386

Jun 28, 2007
Buffalo, NY
Not yet had to pull the trans. out of my truck that destroyed the flex plate. Hopefully I'll get a chance this weekend and update with what I find.

cml61386

Jun 28, 2007
Buffalo, NY
Finally took the car out for a spin. Ran once with the mbc adjusted car was around 18psi. So i took it off the car was right around 12 psi until the car shiftd into 3rd and it jumped to 15 psi. Looks to me that there are washers on the actuator bracket but they look like there factory. So am I lookin at replacing the wastegate actuator or is there another way to fix the problem? Sorry took me forever to reply back.