Need a little help with choosing a turbo

David97

Oct 11, 2012
Wisconsin
So I'm looking for a new turbo, and am hoping you guys could help point me in the right direction.

Well I bought my 88 MKIII a couple months ago now, and seeing as it's finally warming up somewhat Ive been running it, and stretching her legs once a week. The turbo it has currently(how I bought it) is a cheap ass eBay knock off. And well needless to say it's on its way out. Leaks oil. Smokes. Builds boost kinda slowly. Etc.

My motor is all stock. Only upgrades are full 3" exhaust from downpipe to the end. FMIC. HKS VPC. RC 550 injectors. Walbro 250 FP. Tial BOV and Wastegate, iirc I think they're 44mm? Unknown brand turbo manifold with the cheap ass ebay t3/t4 turbo, with nothing stamped on it other then .50A/R.

So with that in mind, and the other odd and random issues it was having are finally all resolved, I'm looking to upgrade a little in the turbo department. What would you guys recommend? As of now I'm not shooting for high HP numbers, probably wanna be in the 325-400whp area, give or take.

Also budget is a big thing. I just can't afford a nice 2k+ Precision Turbo or anything like that, so Ive been looking at the turbos Driftmotion sells. As they're a bit more budget friendly. Just unsure of what would be best for my setup.

Any help would be appreciated.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
For 400whp and a nice snappy response, I'd go with something fairly small. gt30 or bws266 with a .6x ar.

If you want room to go after and don't mind a touch of lag, bw s366 or pt62 or gt3582r.

David97

Oct 11, 2012
Wisconsin
I do plan on more power in the next couple years. However for now I think I want to stay with where im at or within the goal range I mentioned.

So a nice get up and go would be preffered over a little lag. Least for now. Appreciate the suggestions and help guys.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

David97

Oct 11, 2012
Wisconsin
What do you guys think of the Precision 5431 for my setup? It's more in budget for me, and seems like it'd be good, when compared to what you guys have recommended for me? This is the one I'm looking at- http://www.precisionturbo.net/turbo...tails/Entry-Level-Turbocharger---5431E-MFS/58

Also sorry if these are all noob questions. I do read, just I'm more of a visual/hands on learner, so just reading things to learn takes me awhile to understand everything lol

scottiedawg66

Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area Ca
I dont think so. My s360 83-75 makes 450 at the tire on 91 pump gas at 15 -16 psi. I think the s256 would be a good choce, or the precision 54 the OP mentioned.