Need a good socket set that wont cost me an arm and a leg

phoenix6

Rockin' the blades
Aug 13, 2006
Serena's Place ;)
I left pretty much ALL of my tools in Houston (was stupid but I was in a hurry) and anyways, I need to go pick up a socket set thats complete with metric *obviously* and possibly some deep sockets along with that. Id rather not spend TOO much money though, over$100 right now would be pushing it. Any good recommendations?

phoenix6

Rockin' the blades
Aug 13, 2006
Serena's Place ;)
mu immediate concern is getting my new fan clutch and fan blade on, and my new BVSV and Cold start injector timing switch on. Which reminds me, also need a soldering gun... todays gonna get expensive.

CampbellsChunkySoupra

best be eating your soup!
Jan 28, 2007
Norwalk, IA
www.dragsource.net
im not sure if wal-mart sells sockets individually or not but id try there for a temporary fix.

otherwise sears sells individual wrenches which are nice. i picked up a nice adjustable angled 10mm, 12mm, and a 14mm that i can fit under the hatch carpet in one of the little cubbies. they were like $10 a piece but the wrenches have teh little built in ratchet things in the closed ends.

-Tyler

MK3Brent

Very expensive....
Aug 1, 2005
Greensboro and Greenville NC
I hate when that happens too.
This past week I was pulling my turbo off again, and the 4 (8mm) bolts holding the turbo to the turbine housing broke my craftsman wrench. :(

Had to go to the store and get another one.

wingman

sucka got blammed!
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
craftsman or great neck sockets and snap on or mac drivers. Great neck seems to hold up to an impact pretty well, a lot better than craftsman anyway, and I think they're a bit cheaper too. Fit to the nut/bolt is just as good as any snap on set I've used too.

there's some tools you can go a bit lower end on and be fine, and then there's stuff that you're better off getting the best you can. Buying a full set of snap on sockets in every size under the sun isn't a bad thing to do, but there's cheaper means to get essentially the same thing.