Need a bit of help:

casgallo

Not a lurker :)
Apr 3, 2005
New York
Ive been doing some looking but havn't found an answer (blah blah)

Anyways i have a 89 N/A and ever scince my last swap the oil dipstick has been pushing out about an inch. I've read some bad things about this and i was just wondering if anyone knew what was up. If i understand correctly this would mean that the crankcase has too much pressure, possibly a bhg. All oil/ coolant levels are fine and no smoke or anything so i guess my next step would be to do a compression test again :confused: ? thanks all

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
yes the oil dipstick pushing out is proof of increased and "dangerous? levels of crankcase pressure...

this is caused MAINLY by too much blowby through the rings on the pistons...it could be you have a clogged up PCV system or the fact that your rings are blown which allows more blowby and the crankcase cant release it quick enough....

your first step is a compression test...expect low numbers in at least one of the cylinders..then do a wet compression test and expect those same cylinders to raise in compression...this will confirm blown piston rings...

OR if youre REALLY lucky ;) the PCV system is just clogged and should be pretty easily cleaned out.

chevyeater

wastegate hose is pulled
Mar 30, 2005
Long Island, NY
Idealsupra said:
..then do a leakdown test and expect those same cylinders to raise in compression...this will confirm blown piston rings...

I was following (and mainly agreeing with) the rest of your post but, WHAT? :confused: