Need a 45 degree weld on elbow.

Fletch124

2jz swapped!
Jul 17, 2005
Reno, Nevada
I've had problems with burning holes and blowing the coupler off on the compressor housing of my Masterpower T-70. I've searched for elbows but all I can find is 90 degree elbows.

Anyone have any leads on a 45 degree weld on elbow? 2.5" by the way.

Welding the elbow on takes regular tig correct?

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Can you use a ninety degree and then clock the turbo a little to make it work? Just offering suggestions. I bought a ninety degree for mine from www.driftmotion.com but I don't know if he sells fourty fives or not. Good luck.

Fletch124

2jz swapped!
Jul 17, 2005
Reno, Nevada
suprahero;1091869 said:
Can you use a ninety degree and then clock the turbo a little to make it work? Just offering suggestions. I bought a ninety degree for mine from www.driftmotion.com but I don't know if he sells fourty fives or not. Good luck.

It may be able to use a 90. It would be alot more convenient to go with a 45 just because it would follow my current IC setup. Yea I could have sworn that Aaron sold 45 degree elbows but I looked and couldnt find one.

jetjock;1091872 said:
No lead on the elbow but it can be GMAW (mig). Won't be quite as pretty as GTAW though. Not sure what you mean my "regular". Since it's aluminum it'll require AC tig. The weldor will know all this.

It can be welded using MIG? I figured it would have to be TIG since the compressor housing is cast aluminum and so would a 90 bend from Driftmotion. Interesting. I dont know much about TIG, regular meaning just the same as welding normal aluminum.

adampecush;1091879 said:
couldn't you just chop a 90 elbow in half, or will that not give you the required length?

Nope. There wouldnt be enough clamping area for the coupler.

ReQuieM

malicious.com.au
If you haven't already, check ebay, there is always heaps on australian ebay. Tho alot are in 'IC kits'. Failing that contact a bull-bar maker or repairer in your area, they should have a manderal bender and have a fk load of off cuts they sell for a decent price OR have the contacts that you can get bends from.

Seriously there is an absolute fk load of raw products out there probably in your local area, you just need to be smart, talk to people in the trades and get off the computer!! most trade companies DON'T have a website.

Yes TIG or MIG will weld it as long as they have AC (or reverse polarity for the mig).

I have ask tho, it seams unusual that your compressor housing is burnign a whole in the connecting material. What are you using? Silicon? PROPER 3+ ply? or cheap ebay crap? I got some ebay reduces a while back out of frustration finding any and they were crap. the fell appart after not much use. The industrial grade standards I also had along with the PWR replacements have lasted for years.

HTH

Fletch124

2jz swapped!
Jul 17, 2005
Reno, Nevada
ReQuieM;1092693 said:
If you haven't already, check ebay, there is always heaps on australian ebay. Tho alot are in 'IC kits'. Failing that contact a bull-bar maker or repairer in your area, they should have a manderal bender and have a fk load of off cuts they sell for a decent price OR have the contacts that you can get bends from.

Seriously there is an absolute fk load of raw products out there probably in your local area, you just need to be smart, talk to people in the trades and get off the computer!! most trade companies DON'T have a website.

Yes TIG or MIG will weld it as long as they have AC (or reverse polarity for the mig).

I have ask tho, it seams unusual that your compressor housing is burnign a whole in the connecting material. What are you using? Silicon? PROPER 3+ ply? or cheap ebay crap? I got some ebay reduces a while back out of frustration finding any and they were crap. the fell appart after not much use. The industrial grade standards I also had along with the PWR replacements have lasted for years.

HTH

I guess where I went wrong was I figured that you can only weld cast aluminum to cast aluminum?

Im having trouble with couplers just because they are just way way too close to the #1 runner. Welding on an elbow will significantly reduce the amount of heat the coupler sees. And yes im using driftmotions 3ply couplers.

As far as local stuff, I know there has to be a place that I could buy aluminum pipe from. There are zero mandrel benders in Reno (atleast open to the public).

mhopemk3;1092758 said:

Wow thank you!

blackout_89t

King of the roll
Apr 25, 2005
Toronto
I have one welded to my compressor housing but I have no idea where it came from....It is for sale too! (whole turbo)

I thought atpturbo.com had them but all I see now is 90 degrees.