NE NJ inspection stations-Randolph

Just curious if anyone has tried to get through state inspection with a 3" single cat system on a turbo. The state looks under cars with a convex mirror to check out the cat, but I wonder if they are knowldegeable enough to know that a turbo has a precat. With the Random Tech 3" system and high performance cat, I should pass emissions, but will some inspector catch the absence of a pre-cat? The LET-T16 exhaust system is a little bassy, but they cannot get it be raucus during revving.

If they lift the hood (never seen done at a state station) they will see a Ratptor BOV, but they may not know what it is for and may fail me for tampering on general PITA principles.

Has anyone had experience with this? Please PM me. Thanks.

BernieK
'91T, non-targa, refreshed JDM, Walbro, Lex, 550cc ND injectors, 57 trim turbo at 17 PSI (at 3000 pipe), '98 wheels and engine mounts (strong!), Lipp, modified stock FPR, Treadstone IC, hardpipes, Cometic, ARP, Random Tech 3" single cat downpipe, HKS LE-T16 exhaust, Cometic, ARP, Exedy organic clutch (street use), Cr-Mo light flywheel, Raptor BOV (recirculated), deflashed valve bowls, exhaust helicoils, tower strut.

herrherrlich

May 28, 2009
NJ
My buddy used to work Randolph as a summer job back in the day so I used to have the hookup, but it's been a long time since. I've been through Randolph a bunch of times and the techs there vary wildly in their methods. There's an old white dude with grey hair that is a total nut-buster and will fail you for anything. He even LOOKS like a d|ck. He's the most seniored guy there and I'm pretty sure he sticks to lanes #1 and #2. The older black guy tends to alternate with the young kids they got coming in and out of there in the further out lanes. He's cool and you can tell he doesn't give a sht what you have installed. As long as the obvious basics work you'll be in and out.

The kids I've had mixed experiences with. Some will be all buddy buddy when they see your car trying to kiss your ass (or race you in their 'teg). Others are domestic guys and will go out of their way to f with your day. Honestly, I'd turn into the middle area and park for a hot minute and see who's working what lane. If you see the old black dude passing everybody get in his lane.

Good thing I haven't had to inspect my car in years - registered as a collector vehicle. I don't miss worrying about this stuff at all!

Good luck!