National Gaurd

sparkplug619

2 Supras, 1 Paycheck =[
Sep 28, 2008
San Diego California
ut89supra;1319208 said:
Right now alot of the training spots are full thats why I dont ship till sept. the army is a great choice heck any branch is really a good choice. what job MOS are you looking at I am sighned up as a 19Kilo M1 Abrams Crew Member.

i am trying to go in as a 91B wheeled vehicle mechanic for 4 years and switch to a 15N avionic mechanic. I want these specific jobs so when my contract is up, if i dont reenlist i have a good trade going

whenmunkysfly

scratch that...going 2jz
Jun 26, 2006
United States
Wendigo;1319216 said:
Wanna be Spec ops/ sniper/ hardcore? Don't trust a recruiter to say that's where you're going. Do your homework. Be in shape. Just because you think you can shoot well doesn't make you sniper material...

hope this wasn't directed toward my post. I'm not an idiot and know it's massive amounts of work to get a request to be a sniper but that's what I want...I was only stating that my ability to shoot wouldn't be an issue.

NoKittenMKIII

40mm BOOM
Mar 22, 2009
Sands of Iraq
sparkplug619;1319114 said:
I was looking into the air force for a long time and was actually told i was eligable. now i am in my last month of high school and i went back to talk to the people 3 days ago and they told me that they are not accepting waivers because i need one for preexisting cancer and to come back in 2 years.

so i went next door to the army and i should be completely signed up in about 3 or 4 months, just need to pay off a traffic ticket

please dont ask me why the army, dont tell me im making a bad choice, i really dont care for an opinion on where to join anymore, the army is the only branch that will accept me. therefore the only branch i have in mind... sorry i just kinda feel it coming

btw, anybody know how long it takes after enlistment to get sent to basic???

well back on topic.. i thought in the national guard you dont have to leave the country

I've been active for over four years, and only deployed to a war zone once. Had to fight to get to a unit that would send me even. You can head to basic within a week or up to 6 months depending on school dates for MOS and demand for your field. The Army is not a bad choice. PT requirements are the second toughest of the services and if you decide to transfer to Navy or Air Force later, you will not have to repeat basic in their service. All active duty benefits are pretty much the same. I'd have to say medical sucks as far as personal interaction, but that's because there are too many troops per doc. Marines tend to be arrogant after their training. I find they can be really irritating. Ive worked with some Navy and some Airmen. They are pretty relaxed. Just get the rank right and you'll earn their respect. When you deploy, if you run into Marines, address them by their full rank to save yourself a headache.

Anyway, I vote for Active Duty over National Guard. More steady income, and less deployments from your home. National Guard has to do rescue and peace keeping in their state and in other states.

{edit} A good way to get on the sniper path is start as a cav scout. They send a lot of people to SDM school, which is a step towards sniper.

Last edited:

sparkplug619

2 Supras, 1 Paycheck =[
Sep 28, 2008
San Diego California
NoKittenMKIII;1320516 said:
I've been active for over four years, and only deployed to a war zone once. Had to fight to get to a unit that would send me even. You can head to basic within a week or up to 6 months depending on school dates for MOS and demand for your field. The Army is not a bad choice. PT requirements are the second toughest of the services and if you decide to transfer to Navy or Air Force later, you will not have to repeat basic in their service. All active duty benefits are pretty much the same. I'd have to say medical sucks as far as personal interaction, but that's because there are too many troops per doc. Marines tend to be arrogant after their training. I find they can be really irritating. Ive worked with some Navy and some Airmen. They are pretty relaxed. Just get the rank right and you'll earn their respect. When you deploy, if you run into Marines, address them by their full rank to save yourself a headache.

Anyway, I vote for Active Duty over National Guard. More steady income, and less deployments from your home. National Guard has to do rescue and peace keeping in their state and in other states.

{edit} A good way to get on the sniper path is start as a cav scout. They send a lot of people to SDM school, which is a step towards sniper.

thanks for the tips, i will definitely keep that in mind.

I looked into the national guard for awhile but the recruiter pretty much ruined that, he was shady and for all my questions he kept telling me " youll never know the true answer until you join, all experiences are different, so sign right here to get started." and things like " i cant tell you what youll be in store for but if you sign up it would be the best choice you've ever made!" just the average salesman.

oh and he also kept telling me "dont let any recruiter or anybody with relations to the military talk to you, once they find out you want to enlist, they will try to sell you their branch" the exact same way he did.

Wendigo

Ericsplosion
Jul 25, 2005
New Paltz NY
Sadly, the worst thing about the recruiting process are the recruiters. When I first went to enlist I wanted to be a Marine...... but go to Airborne school AND be a medic. Luckily I didn't listen to the recruiter....cuz he told me I COULD be a medic in the Marines after enlisting! Found out pretty quick he was full of it. Then he started pushing for me to go Infantry...... I was done with him. Army recruiter wasn't much better, but he gave me what I wanted.

whenmunksfly: I was only sort of directing my comment in your general direction. I've simply met a lot of guys who thought they could enlist directly into one of the specialties. I didn't mean to infer that you were ignorant about what was required to get there. Sorry for any offense. Eric

sparkplug619

2 Supras, 1 Paycheck =[
Sep 28, 2008
San Diego California
Wendigo;1320887 said:
Sadly, the worst thing about the recruiting process are the recruiters. When I first went to enlist I wanted to be a Marine...... but go to Airborne school AND be a medic. Luckily I didn't listen to the recruiter....cuz he told me I COULD be a medic in the Marines after enlisting! Found out pretty quick he was full of it. Then he started pushing for me to go Infantry...... I was done with him. Army recruiter wasn't much better, but he gave me what I wanted.

lol my first army recruiter kept pushing me into medic.. he kept saying if i want to get a big bonus and stay away from battle, i should become a medic, even after i told him a million times i want to be a 91B

NoKittenMKIII

40mm BOOM
Mar 22, 2009
Sands of Iraq
sparkplug619;1321031 said:
lol my first army recruiter kept pushing me into medic.. he kept saying if i want to get a big bonus and stay away from battle, i should become a medic, even after i told him a million times i want to be a 91B

now do you mean the old 91B or a mechanic? I'm being redesignated 91E from 44E

whenmunkysfly

scratch that...going 2jz
Jun 26, 2006
United States
Wendigo;1320887 said:
whenmunksfly: I was only sort of directing my comment in your general direction. I've simply met a lot of guys who thought they could enlist directly into one of the specialties. I didn't mean to infer that you were ignorant about what was required to get there. Sorry for any offense. Eric

no offense taken. I understand a lot of people have no idea, but for me I have always given my best at what I do and set my goals high so why would I stop now lol.
If I don't get to be a sniper I can live with that but I'll still be one hell of a soldier by setting my goals high and going for the next level even if the chances are slim :) thanks for the clarification.

Justin727

T-virus infected
I made the right choice sir. Marine Corps for my every day life. I maybe the most relaxed fella around..

I don't need the the Marine Corps to be arrogant. I have my own track record outside the corps. Can't wait to get out of Mississippi for sure. But I assure you I am not arrogant at all. Ask the members that know me personally