Narrowed it down to these 5 tires...

Fozbo

7M Love
Apr 4, 2005
Norman, Oklahoma
I'm in the market for a new set of rear tires only. They will be mounted on my mkIV TT rims (these tires are all sized at 275/40/17). Looking mainly for dry/summer performance since I don't drive much in the rain/snow. I do not auto cross, but I would be taking the supra to the drag strip maybe 2-3 times a year. Ride noise and comfort don't matter a whole lot to me since the supra is already more performance oriented. I've basically narrowed it down to these five (based on size, price, availability, seasonal category, and speed ratings):

Sumitomo > HTR Z III ($109)

BFGoodrich > g-Force Sport ($139)

Firestone > Firehawk Wide Oval ($144)

Fuzion > ZRi ($111)

Kumho > Ecsta SPT ($118)

I am looking for tires in the $100 - $140 range (I stretched to put the firestones in there because they had decent ratings and were on sale). All these tires had pretty good reviews, hence why I'm making this thread.

I've spent hours reading the reviews on tire rack as well as reading through all the tire reviews here on SupraMania, but I still can't make up my mind. Has anyone had any experience with any of these?

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
get the BFGs. i have had them out back on both of my cars and they were very good.

i did a 2.1 60ft which im told is a good time without drag radials.

they seem to last though i havent done more than 20,000 on either set as of yet.

they arent too bad in the rain but in the snow the car is impossible to drive.

i have kumho mx's in the front and the bfgs out back and ill just say that i refuse to drive my car with any type of snow on the ground. it is simply too dangerous.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
Fozbo;958954 said:
I'm in the market for a new set of rear tires only. They will be mounted on my mkIV TT rims (these tires are all sized at 275/40/17). Looking mainly for dry/summer performance since I don't drive much in the rain/snow. I do not auto cross, but I would be taking the supra to the drag strip maybe 2-3 times a year. Ride noise and comfort don't matter a whole lot to me since the supra is already more performance oriented. I've basically narrowed it down to these five (based on size, price, availability, seasonal category, and speed ratings):

Sumitomo > HTR Z III ($109)

BFGoodrich > g-Force Sport ($139)

Firestone > Firehawk Wide Oval ($144)

Fuzion > ZRi ($111)

Kumho > Ecsta SPT ($118)

I am looking for tires in the $100 - $140 range (I stretched to put the firestones in there because they had decent ratings and were on sale). All these tires had pretty good reviews, hence why I'm making this thread.

I've spent hours reading the reviews on tire rack as well as reading through all the tire reviews here on SupraMania, but I still can't make up my mind. Has anyone had any experience with any of these?

Why is Falken not on that list?!?

Sumitomo sucks balls, period.

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
Yup, I had the Falken Ziex ZE-512 on the TT wheels when I had them and they hooked up great!!! They are priced pretty good too.

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
Sumitomos are good tires, I've got the HTR-Zs on the rear of my car. Buddy of mine had the Z-IIs on his 350Z and said they were one of the best tires he ran. Fuzion ZRi's are a good tire as well, they're supposed to be the Budget Potenza tire (Fuzion is owned by Bridgestone). Another tire you might want to consider is the Riken Raptors. I just put a set on my truck, and although I haven't pushed 'em too hard yet, I've had friends compare them to the G-Force KDWS tires in performance/handling. Hell, they got better ratings than the KDWSs on tireseasy.com. Just my 2¢.

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
Because they are great tires and always has great reviews. I don't know too much about the General tires though. I buy what is tried and tested for good results.

selfinfliction

Dec 11, 2007
ky
Fozbo;958954 said:
Kumho > Ecsta SPT ($118)

stay away from these. i have a set of 225/45/18's on my supercharged cobalt and they don't get traction for shit, i've had them on for 20k ish miles and they are about ready to be replaced. that's without purposely doing any burnouts.

my car will break the tires loose at 40mph from just taking off (19ish psi on a roots blower, so power is intstant), on a set of pirellis, these cheap ass spt's will just go off in a wild spin, it almost slid me into a median when i first got them, cause i was expecting them to actually grip.

but remember that each size tire will act differently

bountykilla0118;959140 said:
I bought my set of generals back in early november and they are great.

the general exclaim uhp's are the next set i'm putting on, those are some extremely good tires.

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
AF1JZ;959103 said:
Because they are great tires and always has great reviews. I don't know too much about the General tires though. I buy what is tried and tested for good results.

Not sure about the supra world, but over in the Dakota arena, Falkens have been kind of a mediocre tire. Some like 'em, some hate 'em and say they're shit.