na-t

madseacow

Apr 2, 2005
Buda, Tx
woohoo... gotta 7mgte waiting to go in but I've got a few kinks to work out first. so first of all I'm using an 88 gte, 87 ecu and 86 body. do I use the NA clutch for the tranny or a turbo clutch? looks like pwr steering resevior is attached to the engine rather than the body so which one of those do I use? also oil cool... I've heard that it's not needed with a timer but how do you disable it without having to worry? I'm also looking for ic and piping so should I buy some shiny new custom one or just go stock? any advice is greatly appreciated... cheers

DrakeMK3

"The Duck"
Mar 30, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Use the N/A clutch aka W58 tranny. The pwr steering is up to you, but I'd leave it where it is on the body. I would recommend an oil cooler since you are going turbo, but you could have a nice custom setup doing it this way. Finally, since you are already going through the long, grueling process of this all, you might as well get hard pipes to begin with.

madseacow

Apr 2, 2005
Buda, Tx
also I see some ignition differences (see how much I did my homework :eek: ) is there a different coil or something? or is everything contained? can I use the same plugs? what happened to all the good write ups? just my luck, I go to swap and the damn website goes down.

bluemax

The Family Man
Mar 30, 2005
Orange County, CA
Yeah.
The ignition on a turbo is a direct fire type (distrubuterless) with 3 coil pack.
The NA has the standard distrubuter type.
On my 7MGE to 7MGTE conversion, I was lucky and got a turbo the same year and swapped all the different parts. I know a lot of NA-t mods use the stock distrubuter ignition.
The injectors are also 400 CC on turbos as opposed to 380CC on NA.
The throttle body and upper intake is also different, but after doing the mod, I noticed that the NA looks like it'll flow more.
The air flow meter (AFM) is also not the restrictive flapper type on the NA.
If you decide to change either the injectors, AFM, or ignition, you're going to have to change the computer and change everything.
I used the NA W58 tranny. (Probably should have went with the R154, but its more money.)

Good luck.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
*turbo injectors are 440cc

and you can use the w58 trans BUT
start looking for an r154. because you will need one sooner or later.

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
use the turbo PS res. the NA one will need to be moved anyway 'cause of the accordion hose and AFM. If you're keeping the W58, use that clutch set up from the NA, but as Supra90Turbo said, start looking for an r154, turbo driveshaft and turbo slave cylinder. I was lucky enough to get everything I needed off of my parts car when I did my conversion, so the car is a complete turbo......I've heard bad things from some of the people retaining their w58's

bluemax

The Family Man
Mar 30, 2005
Orange County, CA
I haven't had a problem with my W58. But my NA-T conversion was made to all stock, and I don't race. I've heard some guys use the W58 with high HP. I'm sure it has a lot to do on how you're going to drive the car.

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
bluemax said:
Yeah.

The throttle body and upper intake is also different, but after doing the mod, I noticed that the NA looks like it'll flow more.

NO....a Y pipe is restricting and disrupting flow....period.

someone else covered the other things wrong on the rest of what you said...

and there are NO high hp guys using a w58...that tranny cant hold more then a constant 350hp without having issues...

and for the record... i have a full r154 tranny conversion set for sale ;) let me know if youre interested.

wh0wants2know

Apr 4, 2005
seattle
actually, you can't use the stock IC pipes with the stock power steering resevoir of the NA. i've done this conversion on my car and made a completely stock 88na into a completely stock T. the W58 clutch will hold stock boost levels for a while, but you may as well upgrade the tranny and clutch while you're at it, but keep in mind that i'm told the driveshaft is a different length for the w58 and r154 (can anyone say for sure? i haven't experienced this firsthand) so you want to check that out. i would highly reccommend that you switch the tranny while you do this. the other thing is that i would very highly reccommend that you not mod the car while you do this conversion. make it work stock before you mess with it. the only thing i would suggest is that you do a mhg with ARP studs, new gaskets, and a new clutch (i have a spec stage III for w58, i love the thing) while you have the engine out of the car. new oil pump would be a good idea also.