na oil pump

Supra_Villan

needs his car done
Nov 10, 2007
Wellsville MO
hello, i've got a question for you all, i'll be using an na oil pump on my rebuilt motor because it is an na block and from my understanding turbo pumps don't go with na blocks due to a gearing issue, so my question is, will an na oil pump do enough on a 400-500 horspower motor? thanks for any feed back,
charles

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
NA Pump on a turbo motor = Bad Idea. The turbo pump fits fine in a NA block...the big difference is the lack of squirters. A turbo pump is an upgrade on NA engines as well IMO.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
You can use a turbo pump no problem. Drjonez, I think, gutted one and saw the gears inside were indeed bigger.

Seems like the parts system only has one number now, but I don't work behind that counter.

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
The NA pump has shorter gears than the Turbo pump.

All are made by Asin. (The Toyota OEM ones just have the Toyota name, and Asin name on them, and the Asin ones have the Toyota name ground off....)

Same exact pump OEM to ASIN.

Not the same NA to Turbo.

Both pumps fit either block. (With or without squirters...)
Both pumps use the same drive gear.

The Turbo pump is a very good upgrade to the NA pump.. There is no upgrade for the Turbo oil pump...

BTW, we took apart a high pressure, high performance SBC Melling pump, and guess what?

The gears were almost the same height. :) Very cool. The Melling high volume, high pressure pump has larger diameter gears with deeper webs, so it does move more oil however. (No easy way to upgrade the stock pump.. we tried.)

Best option is to take apart the new pump, clean it up. (I have found dirt, machine chips and other debris inside every new pump I've ever taken apart.. ) Port the pump exit point, and get ARZ's hard crossover pipe upgrade if you can. It removes the banjo bolt setup, and it's restriction on oil flow.

Shim the new pump, or your old one if your using it again. A single 10mm nut placed between the spring, and the valve plunger/spring retainer will raise your oil pressure into a better range.

Shim the external cooler bypass, or better yet, remove that whole abomination, and get a remote filter :)