na motor w/ turbo electronics? help

T34418L3ONE

Supra for brains.....
Jul 3, 2005
Pleasanton
Alright, im in the middle of budgeting out a buildup and trying to decide on which motor to start out with. I was thinking the n/a would give me more base hp, and since i already have all the turbo stuff that it would be an easy swap. My question is will the turbo wiring plug into an n/a motor? I plan on going to a maftpro and didnt know if they supported the n/a yet. Also wanted to keep the turbo ecu that way the timing maps are built for boost. Anyone in the same boat or completed something along the same lines? Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
T34418L3ONE said:
Alright, im in the middle of budgeting out a buildup and trying to decide on which motor to start out with. I was thinking the n/a would give me more base hp, and since i already have all the turbo stuff that it would be an easy swap. My question is will the turbo wiring plug into an n/a motor? I plan on going to a maftpro and didnt know if they supported the n/a yet. Also wanted to keep the turbo ecu that way the timing maps are built for boost. Anyone in the same boat or completed something along the same lines? Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

The NA and turbo blocks are almost the same...the NA has higher compression piston...the turbo has oil sqirters for the pistons to help keep it cool. The heads are the same, except for the cams...all the cams will do is shift your power band higher.

If you are going to swap out all the turbo parts...the harness should wire up. I'm assuming you are going to run this as a turbo motor.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
He needs two...the NA has one, but the block is threaded for for both the turbo and NA locations.

T34418L3ONE

Supra for brains.....
Jul 3, 2005
Pleasanton
i have a full turbo motor already. Im just wondering whats required to run the n/a motor? Can i just swap all the gte electronics, wire in a maftpro and go from there?

Fuzz420

Are U Here 2 take My Baby
T34418L3ONE said:
i have a full turbo motor already. Im just wondering whats required to run the n/a motor? Can i just swap all the gte electronics, wire in a maftpro and go from there?

in that case you you would still need the afm, coilpacks,cps to run the n/a motor with the gte electronics. You will also throw a code for having one less knock sensor on the n/a motor, the gte has two.So i would guess the maftpro would work and can drop the afm if you get the speed density harness.

amd_hcds

Dec 20, 2005
Chicago,IL
I don't think there's holes for the knock-sensors in the N\A block(na got one turbo got two) but it's no problem making a place for it. but a question which no one answered for me is are turbo&na knocksensors the same?

1TuffSupra

Sho' Nuff
Jul 11, 2005
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
T34418L3ONE said:

Yes, quite a few people have done so quite successfully.

I plan on going to a maftpro and didnt know if they supported the n/a yet.

for the record the Maft Pro will work on any car with a MAF sensor. So yes it can be used on the NAs, but that wont really make a difference for you since your using the turbo electronics.

Last edited: