na cams

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
It's a downgrade, from personal experience. Put a turbo on my ge, than later put a gte intake cam in(exhaust is the same both engines). Gte is better.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Not an upgrade (really, think about this, why would Toyota have produced 2 different cams if it would have saved them money to make one?)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
It will come on power faster, but fall on it's face in higher RPMs. Area under the curve is reduced meaning while it might FEEL a bit faster on the bottom end, you're slower overall...

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
It's a sidegrade from the dark days.....

It shifts the powerband to the left of the dyno chart spooling sooner so it gives a punchier midrange where most DD's drive but getting asthmatic on the top end.

deabionni

The Lurker
Sep 16, 2007
Kalkaska, MI
I can't find the thread with the dyno sheets either, but if I recall correctly, the engine started falling flat on it's face around 5,000 RPM....give or take a few hundred. Basically, if you've seen a dyno sheet for the N/A and notice when the power started falling off WAY before redline; the GTE with N/A cams will start having the power fall off at the same time.

You just end up shifting the power band to the left with an N/A intake cam.

supra_man87

EL GUAPO
Nov 15, 2007
So. Col.
What about doing that in reverse? Since an n/a cam is not the best for a GTE, would a turbo intake came help a n/a in higher rpms?

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
If it starts dying at 5k, then IMO that's anyway the last shifting point. And if no overall hp's/tq's are lost....
I guess I won't change cams when going NA-T then :)
Thanks.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Hell, if you went with a larger turbo, it's just coming online at those revs, you're just going to hurt you in the end...